Mahlkonig Guatemala K32 SB2 grind retention

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rolleiman

#1: Post by rolleiman »

Hi all:
Is there anyone also own this machine (Mahlkonig Guatemala K32 SB2), I used this machine as my regular espresso grinder. I open the burr chamber to clean after a month, I am surprise to see so much grind retention,
there is even some beans left under the auger. Some coffee grind is stuck in the top of the chute. Anyone knows how to fix the retention problem??
Thanks.

Advertisement
BTD1986

#2: Post by BTD1986 »

Every grinder will have a build up of ground coffee. Most of this coffee will stay stuck to the grinder and not mix with the fresh coffee being ground. You can try running Grindz through your grinder to clean it out every once in a while.

m03ppp

#3: Post by m03ppp »

This is actually very little retention in comparison to normal espresso grinders. You can tilt the machine towards you after each grind to get rid of the remaining beans in the auger chamber. Or if you are willing to tinker you could try to reduce the space between the auger and the bottom of the auger chamber similar to the ek43.

Regards

Overkill

#4: Post by Overkill »

Hey Yuwen, can I ask where it is you sourced the burrs for your K32 SB2? I'm having trouble finding burrs here in New Zealand given the age and relative obscurity of this model.....

TIA

rolleiman (original poster)

#5: Post by rolleiman (original poster) »

Benny:
I didn't buy a new SB2 burr, however, I found a site selling SB2 burr,
you may try it.

http://www.caffe-limes.de/Mahlkoenig-Er ... 65927916f8

Overkill

#6: Post by Overkill »

Hey thanks for that, however, the burrs on the link look very different to the ones currently on my (and your) Guatemala. I think these grinders are a particularly old model, I'm having all kinds of issues sourcing parts for it....

As an aside, how do you find yours goes for espresso?

Benny

rolleiman (original poster)

#7: Post by rolleiman (original poster) »

The picture of the burr is not correct, they use the same picture for all burr in the web,
I don't like Guatemala for espresso, the dial range is too small for espresso setting, sometimes, I cannot find a proper setting for it. It performs stellar for pour over coffee, I always use it for hand brew coffee.