Modifying Rancilio Silvia from 110v to 220v: Can it be done?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bandoleir

#1: Post by bandoleir »

Following up on my previous post Blonding too early with Rancilio Silvia + Mazzer Mini where I got blonding to early in my shot (even if I modified the grind, tamp, distribution or water temperature)

I've determined (with your help) that the problem is that, when using a step down converter, I'm still at 50hz here in Argentina, and my 60hz pump might be losing power.

So, apart from ordering a new machine from Italy (220v), I was thinking of changing the required parts to turn my Silvia to 220v. Do you know if this could be accomplished just buy changing to 220v versions of the heating element, pump and solenoid?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Mouldy

#2: Post by Mouldy »

Are you sure your problem is related to power supply frequency? In your previous thread I did suggest it would be worth considering that the frequency change may be a factor, but there were other suggestions from others that were worth looking at.

Did you check flow rate and pressure from the pump and post results so someone could compare?

I would think it would be costly to buy and install 240v components, particularly at retail prices. (It may be potentially cheaper to buy a used 240V machine?)

Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew »

Easy. All it takes is $. Generally it works out cheaper to sell the existing machine and buy a new one with the correct rating.

Alan

Nate42

#4: Post by Nate42 »

You can do it if you can find a source for the relevant parts but it will likely be more trouble than its worth. Also, I seriously doubt that's your problem with your shots. You opv should be regulating pump pressure, not power frequency. And even if your pressure is reduced, that's not necessarily the end of the world. Lever machines use much lower pressure than pump machines for example.