Just received my Huky 500 can I add a second probe after?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jasonmck

#1: Post by Jasonmck »

I had not noticed the secondary probe was an option. I ordered the meter that has 2 probe options but didn't get the second probe. Is it possible to add it now?

Thanks
Jason

Contrabass_Bry

#2: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Jason,

You can certainly add a second probe.

My suggestion would be to replace the analog ET thermometer, though most are reporting lower than normal values, it does offer an easy way to log two temperature points (you could calculate some offset later.

The "hard way" would be to drill & tap a hole in the SS faceplate for a MET probe above the drum...

Advertisement
Jasonmck (original poster)

#3: Post by Jasonmck (original poster) »

Thanks Contrabass_Bry

Think I will replace the analog thermometer

wwhcfy

#4: Post by wwhcfy »

Hi Bryan,

I also have Huky 500, just bought from Mr. Li couple weeks ago.

Could you please tell is it difficult to remove the analog ET thermometer?

Thanks
Tony

Contrabass_Bry

#5: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Tony,

First order of business: Welcome to H-B!
Congratulations on your purchase of a Huky!

Removal of the analog thermometer is very simple. It is seated in a threaded brass 1/2"-5/8" adapter. There is a stainless threaded adapter secured to the thermometer. Just use a wrench and loosen with a counter-clockwise turn.

When I purchased my probes, I configured them with a bayonet mount. The bayonet mount screws into the existing brass adapter.
Now, this does shorten the distance the ET probe extends into the roasting chamber, and I may eventually purchase a bayonet mount with a width that negates the use of the brass adapter.

Pics for clarity:

Jasonmck (original poster)

#6: Post by Jasonmck (original poster) »

Thanks again.
I've ordered a probe that should fit.
Your pictures help.
I might need an adapter for the thread and the connector needs to be rewired but I think I can make it work

Thanks
Jason

wwhcfy

#7: Post by wwhcfy »

Thanks Bryan.

So informative, it helps a lot with the step-by-step pics procedure!

Another issue is that sometimes I wonder if the digital BT probe (left side) can not provide the bean temperature... it is because the proble is too high, not sure if the beans can touch the digital thermometer...

Do you guys have the same experience?

Bryan, just found that seems you have one more thermometer whole under the bean trier... m i correct?

Thanks
Tony