Splitting milk correctly for 4 cappuccinos

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
craigcharity

#1: Post by craigcharity »

Hi everyone.

What methods do you guys use to split milk correctly for 4 cappuccinos when only frothing one jug for all of them??? How many jugs do you use etc... I have been watching Pete Licanta on youtube. He steams a large jug, pours most of the milk into a 600ml jug, enough for a cappuccino in the smaller 300ml jug, then pours the rest(only a small amount left)back into the 600ml.

I am considering doing this for the worlds, most times I have steamed milk for two cappuccinos then the other two because it is easier to control the milk/foam density in each cup?

Looking forwards to your words of wisdom :D

Thanks

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

I dont normally do 4 at one time but when I do doubles I just froth and pour. The microfoam is fully incorporated so the first half is the same as the second. I just give the pitcher a good swirl before I do my pour.
Dave Stephens

Maxwell Mooney

#3: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

I do what Pete did because that first little pour off is mostly foam if you let it sit for a minute, so pouring it into a smaller pitcher just acts as a storage vessel.

Also, good luck! I'll be cheering for you and Laila!
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

jessebgordon
Sponsor

#4: Post by jessebgordon »

This is something I have been working on in prep for my Counter Culture Coffee Barista Certification. First off, I would only do two caps at a time. Second, a piece of advice I was given that has been working well is to steam your milk for the two beverages in a latte pitcher. Groom/texturize/swirl your milk as you would for the pour and pour off 1/3 of the milk into a preheated smaller cap pitcher. Once you have poured the first of the two caps, groom the milk in the smaller pitcher to reincorporate the microfoam, then pour that smaller pitcher into the larger pitcher and reincorporate/groom one final time before the second pour.

I've found that making sure the milk foam is fully incorporated before splitting helps to even out the foam between the two beverages.