Help Identifying a Commercial Pasquini Grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbruinn (original poster)

#11: Post by jbruinn (original poster) »

Thanks OldNuc. I will test the bearings and replace if necessary.

I'm in the process of taking apart the doser to clean it, but hit a bit of a wall. I can't seem to take out the 6-teeth pawl and the doser lever from the doser (pics below). Anyone have any idea? As always, thanks in advance!

Joe

OldNuc

#12: Post by OldNuc »

If I remember correctly that entire assembly was a bit stuck on the shaft and required some gentle persuasion to come out. Probably soaked with Kroil and used the wood mallet on it. Lift the counter out first and disconnect the springs. Take pictures or you will never get it all back where it belongs. Remove all the doser parts from above and then it should separate easier.

#13: Post by jbruinn (original poster) »

Thanks again OldNuc. I'm gonna try spraying lots of WD40 and see if it moves. If not, I'd probably set the doser aside and do a DIY doserless. In regards to the bottom adjustment, you mentioned that the lower adjustment screw allows "setting the burr carrier zero point accurately at zero". How do one tell that the burr carrier zero point is accurately (or inaccurately) at zero?

OldNuc

#14: Post by OldNuc »

That pawl is on a tapered shaft. Once the nut and washer is off you get to put the nut back on to protect the end of the threads and mechanically agitate it so it all separates. You are going to lose the alignment between the doser star above and the ratchet pawl and doser handle below as there is no key. Unless you really want to see what it looks like I would suggest brake cleaner.

#15: Post by jbruinn (original poster) »

I still haven't touched the doser since last night, still covered in wd40. Thanks for the brake cleaner suggestion, I will try that later today.

My question remains about how to use the lower adjustment screw that sets the shaft relative position vertically to set the burr carrier zero point accurately at zero. First, how can I tell whether the burr carrier zero point is accurately (or inaccurately) set at zero? Second, if it's set inaccurately at zero, how do I adjust the bottom adjustment screw to correct it?

I appreciate your help throughout my journey, OldNuc. I owe you a PITCHER of beer (or since this is a coffee forum, a few shots of espresso).

OldNuc

#16: Post by OldNuc »

When you put it all back together then back the screw off until the lower burr carrier hits the housing with power off, rotate by hand, then turn screw in 2 or 3 turns or so. Now run upper carrier in until it just touches the lower carrier and then back it off. Note where the zero (0) is in relation to the spring loaded lock pin. If it is reasonably close fire up grinder and slowly crank in the upper carrier in until the burrs just touch. Note where you are in relation to the zero. Turn off power, back off upper carrier and tweak screw as appropriate, repeat and get close to a good zero indication. As the grinder new burrs break in this will change so you may have to readjust as they wear. Keep in mind you are about 2 turns up off the lower carrier hitting the housing so turning screw counterclockwise more than 1/2 turn is not a good idea.

#17: Post by jbruinn (original poster) »

The grinder is now fully cleaned and assembled. I decided to do a 2 Liter soda bottle doserless mod since I'll be making only 1, maybe 2 shots at a time. I fully expect this grinder to outlast me, maybe I'll pass it on to my kids many many years down the line =). Thanks everyone for your inputs and comments, especially OldNuc. If you ever find your way to SF Bay Area, I'll buy you a few drinks.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished product.

OldNuc

#18: Post by OldNuc »

Looks good, now to see how well it grinds.