Need an electric 1kg roaster for $3000 any suggestions?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
betothunder

#1: Post by betothunder »

Hello i am looking into buying a 500gm-1kg electric roaster if it is possible to buy for less than $3000.

I have been looking into the santoker and north coffee tj-067.

I don't know much about the brands ands seems hard to get a hold of a good roaster around that price.

If you have any suggestions and also who i can talk to about it i would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help!

Beto

2StrokeBloke

#2: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Post your question in the roasting forum. While this is the buying advice section, more roasters probably visit the roasting section than this one on a daily basis. :)

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC replying to 2StrokeBloke »

Nope. It belongs here.

Santoker is a propane roaster, not electric, unless they've recently revised things. I won't speak much to the North, but there's been plenty of commentary from other first hand users with a lot of faulty or non functioning parts on delivery and difficult support from the manufacturer, but I can't follow every thread and updates may go unnoticed.

All the incredible small sample roasters (available for sale in the USA) I found at SCAA this year were gas, the only electric one was a small (100 g) open barrel sample roaster.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

In your price range, the 115V 15A Dalian Amazon Royal 1000 (aka Amazon, aka that roaster from ebay) and the 220V TJ067 are currently your only bets. There's another roaster, the Aillio Bullet R1 on the indefinite horizon which looks very interesting, but don't hold your breath.

There's plenty of commentary from owners regarding the electric TJ067 on H-B, and the Australian forum, Coffee Snobs.

My experience with the Amazon are on H-B. If you search the Roasting thread, you'll find them.

If you find the Amazon at all interesting, I'll sell you my lightly used machine for less than half of what I've got into it. I just want it out of here. And hey! It's already imported. We can arrange a visit if you're interested. PM me and let me know.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

The U.S. distributor for North roasters is Steve Green. He knows about the electric 1 KG and 500 gm to 1 Kg roasters and offers good support. Here's his web page on that:

http://millcityroasters.com/shop/coffee-roasters/
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Dregs

#6: Post by Dregs »

I have owned the gas version of the TJ-067 for about 3 months. It works very well, I really enjoy using it and I am getting great roasts from it. It is very responsive to changes in gas flow and air flow.

Coming from a Behmor 1600, I was nervous about using a device that runs on gas before getting some experience with this roaster. It is actually very convenient, especially if you will be roasting outside, since the propane tank can follow the roaster. It is just as safe as using electricity, although both require appropriate precautions.

If you want to do 1Kg batch sizes, you need gas or a 240V/20amp circuit.

Dregs

boar_d_laze

#7: Post by boar_d_laze »

drgary wrote:The U.S. distributor for North roasters is Steve Green. He knows about the electric 1 KG and 500 gm to 1 Kg roasters and offers good support.
Oops. My bad. Forgot about the North 500g/1lb electric.

I read one review, I believe on CG, quite awhile ago. All I can remember was that the reviewer was very enthusiastic. I'm not sure, but it might have been Steve himself. It was just after I got the USRC, or I'd have a better memory of the thread.

The US price for the North TJ-068 500g/1lb is $2625, so at least it fits within your budget, Beto. Worth a phone call.

Speaking of budgets, the US prices of the TJ-067 Electric and TJ-067 Gas have gone up; they are each currently $4K.

Rich

PS. Yes. Found it! It was Steve's review.
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Advertisement
osanco

#8: Post by osanco »

Yes. I'm guilty. I ordered that roaster for myself. Initially I picked it apart, but the more I used it, the better it got. It was mostly user error. I still have it and I still like the way it roasts.

Steve