La Marzocco after market dispersion screen by Espresso Parts

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Fullsack

#1: Post by Fullsack »

I'd been using the Espresso Parts dispersion screen for a while, switched back to the La Marzocco OEM screen, but kept using the EP screw. Not a good idea; the EP screw is shorter and caused the LM OEM screen to bend. Once the screen is bent, if you begin using the LM OEM screw again, there will be a loose fit, of the screen to the group, causing, (I would think), water to disperse from the side of the screen, as well as through the screen itself.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Derekb

#2: Post by Derekb »

I switched to a Synesso screen a few weeks ago. It is a much thicker gauge of stainless steel. It will not bend when tightened with the stock LM screw.
It works well and with a quick rinse from the group most all of the spent grounds rinse right off.
And it looks nice!

Fullsack (original poster)

#3: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Other than being sturdier, are there additional advantages to the Synesso dispersion screen, over the OEM La Marzocco screen?
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Paolo

#4: Post by Paolo »

In my Linea I finger-tighten the screw and then use a screw driver to apply a mere tad more torque. Nearly 5 years on and it hasn't come undone unless I have wanted it to.

shawndo

#5: Post by shawndo »

Is the synesso screen multilayered? After this wonderful post permanently burned itself into my mind, I am forever paranoid about that sort of thing

IMS shower screen for La Marzocco - First look
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

VeniaCoffee

#6: Post by VeniaCoffee »

Just some food for thought, but I suggest only lightly tightening the screen screws. They won't come off in normal use and the damage caused by over-tightening can be anywhere from a slight annoyance to a costly repair job. Just had a discussion with Scott at La Marzocco about this, and he suggested a thumb-nail test, if you can't loosen the screw with your thumb-nail it is too tight. In my experience I would agree.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by uscfroadie »

Derekb wrote:<image>
I switched to a Synesso screen a few weeks ago. It is a much thicker gauge of stainless steel. It will not bend when tightened with the stock LM screw.
It works well and with a quick rinse from the group most all of the spent grounds rinse right off.
And it looks nice!
My new GS/3 came with LM's new screen, which looks like Synesso's only with the La Marzocco Lion on it. Like the Synesso, it too is made of very thick steel and will not bend. I'm guessing this is the new high dose screen...
Merle