Banging and gurgling noises from non-HX single boiler espresso machine... help!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Riley007

#1: Post by Riley007 »

Hello,

this is my first post here :D

I own a ECM Classika II, a german single boiler non-HX machine I bought new last year.

when I switch it on I can hear noises coming from the inside during the heat-up phase... noises like "bubbling water" along with "banging" noises...

both noises stop as soon as the warming cycle is finished and both noises come back with the following warming cycle... although the "banging" noises seem to be much quiter passing the first warming cycle...

by turning on the pump during the heat-up phase, the sounds go away (until next heat-up phase)...

When I turn on the pump, it takes few seconds for the first drops of water to come out of the group...

Please note this occurred from my very first day of use, it's just recently that I started wondering whether this was normal or not... Note also that I only use Volvic water and run a descaling maintenance twice a year, last one was performed less than 4 weeks ago...

Could you please tell me whether this "sounds" normal to you or not?

Thank you for your help!

HEH

keepitsimple

#2: Post by keepitsimple »

Have you tried cracking open the steam valve slightly before switching the machine on ? There might be a partial vacuum formed in the boiler from when it last cooled down. I don't know whether your machine has a vacuum breaker valve installed to do this automatically, but it does sound like it may be the water starting to boil with a vacuum rather than normal air pressure in that part of the boiler not filled with water.

Riley007 (original poster)

#3: Post by Riley007 (original poster) »

keepitsimple wrote:Have you tried cracking open the steam valve slightly before switching the machine on ? There might be a partial vacuum formed in the boiler from when it last cooled down. I don't know whether your machine has a vacuum breaker valve installed to do this automatically, but it does sound like it may be the water starting to boil with a vacuum rather than normal air pressure in that part of the boiler not filled with water.
I'll try and let you know... I know for sure that the noises are amplified when doing so when the machine is heating...

MDL

#4: Post by MDL »

You may have scale built up in the boiler. Do you know how hard your water is? A scaled steam boiler (or any single boiler machine) will make banging noises when it gets scaled.

keepitsimple

#5: Post by keepitsimple »

Another possible option is that the water level in the boiler it too low, and the heater is partially uncovered, creating a violent reaction at the surface of the water, although that may give other symptoms as well perhaps (not sure what, other than premature failure of the heater...)

Riley007 (original poster)

#6: Post by Riley007 (original poster) »

keepitsimple wrote:Another possible option is that the water level in the boiler it too low, and the heater is partially uncovered, creating a violent reaction at the surface of the water, although that may give other symptoms as well perhaps (not sure what, other than premature failure of the heater...)
This sounds quite possible, the only thing is that I can't explain why would lower the boiler's water level...

For the first time since months I have tried to switch on the machine without actioning the pump... to my biggest surprise, the machine was very quite and I noticed it heated very quickly (the orange lamp lighted for only 5 minutes... 1200W heater - 750ml boiler)...

I am assuming the quietness and the quikness would have something to do with the fact that very little air in the boiler:
- no air => no sound,
- no air => maximum temperature-pressure correlation.

Still I can't explain what would cause the boiler water level to be lowered... the machine doesn't show a single sign of leak...

But I have noticed that: the more I backflush the machine (with or without detergent) the more silent is the machine during heating periods...

Cristiano

#7: Post by Cristiano »

Good afternoon! I am a new member of the HB, I wonder if anyone has the settings of the PID Classika II 220v, so I compare the settings of my machine. I believe she is taking enough to get the value set in the PID. In that case I would check with the factory settings of the PID.
For you to have an idea of ​​the time:
Time to arrive at the value set in the PID, considering the machine starting from the cold mode - 26 minutes
Time between extractions to reach the set value in PID - 1 minute and 50 seconds

A hug.

solo

#8: Post by solo »

So, I've been considering this machine also. Since I make mostly a one-off cappa in the morning, and a double espresso in the afternoon, this machine would fit my needs most of the time. I am, nevertheless, a little wary of its limitations. Not sure what the conclusion was for the "banging" noises mentioned above, but the machine definitely does not have a vacuum breaker on the boiler, so that could be the culprit (and, if it is, would seem like a design oversight). On the other hand, keepitsimple makes a good point about water levels. If the boiler wasn't refilled properly prior to shutdown, I could see where that might cause a tempest in a teapot, so to speak, on next start up. Wonder what conclusion the OP came to??