How hard is turning a Pharos? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#11: Post by bakafish »

Almico wrote:There should be a "How do you grip YOUR Pharos" thread. :wink:

Here's my technique:
I also used the same way.

I found that the outer burr were misaligned because of my thumb pressure, so I changed to this way:
Pharos: Making Grinding Easier with a "Grinding Bar"

But it still very hard to grind light roasts. I ever had a Rosco and then sold it for a Pharos because of the titan conical burr. Finally I sold my Pharos and will go back to a Rosco.

Chert

#12: Post by Chert »

D--n hard. And well worth the effort.

This link shows my solution:

Pharos Grounds Removal Tips and Mods
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
DanoM (original poster)

#13: Post by DanoM (original poster) replying to Chert »

Oh the things we do for home espresso! Looks okay though, and as long as it works for you that's what matters most. Certainly makes a very nice grind.
LMWDP #445

OldNuc

#14: Post by OldNuc »

Drop a round pin into the vacant allen wrench hole and let it extend below the center plate. Wrap finger tips(first joint) around pin and rest ball of thumb on top plate for big hands or center of palm against center plate with 1 or 2 fingers below center plate. Allow grinder to slightly wrap up your holding hand, wrist bent slightly. Press down with left hand and light down force on crank.

Almico

#15: Post by Almico »

bakafish wrote: But it still very hard to grind light roasts. I finally sold it and will go back to a Rosco.
Yep, good thing I'm not a fan of light roasts!

tbone53
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by tbone53 »

Fine coffee dust accumulating on the bottom of the pad can make the Pharos slippery on the countertop.

A quick wipe of the bottom pad with a slightly damp cloth or paper towel will restore some "grab" between the grinder and countertop to help keep Pharos in place when grinding.

pShoe

#17: Post by pShoe »

It was never hard to crank the Pharos, but the effort was reduced dramatically when using Pharos dogs.

Advertisement
DanoM (original poster)

#18: Post by DanoM (original poster) »

I finally was able to beat my home depot grinder and get the grind dialed in. I use a jar-lid-opener-rubber-strap for a handle on the plastic PVC pipe and a cordless drill on the spindle. This will NOT be a permanent thing, just running tests on spindle mounting before I commit to a design.

Definitely not as easy as a stable and solid Pharos! Thanks for the info on how everyone is holding these things. Will be good info in the future.
LMWDP #445

sonnyhad

#19: Post by sonnyhad »

In my house I have a small kitchen in the basement, its now my coffee room. It has one of the old, way before the 50's kitchen sink and counter combination. Porcelain counter top, it has a lip like on the front of it. I just pull the Pharos up against it and grind away. Stick my left thumb in at one of the bolt covers and the palm agains the middle ang grind away. Works like a charm. My Pharos is the voodoo modded type though.
LMWDP 437