Plumbing Cold Water Inlet Pipe: Copper or Plastic? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
keepitsimple

#21: Post by keepitsimple »

Hello, Dee

Yes - I'm sure the plastic overflow pipe is freeze resistant, in that it is pliable enough to allow the contents to freeze without splitting, and is itself not degraded by the kind of temperatures that you're likely to meet in a UK winter. It doesn't mean the water in the pipe won't freeze though ;o( You'll only find out when the water won't drain. Not likely to do much damage though - only inconvenient.

On the supply side, copper pipe won't normally withstand the contents freezing. It will split. If you had mentioned that you were installing the pipework outside I would not have suggested copper, or if it had to be copper, then using compression joints rather than soldered (compressions are more likely to give way and fall apart if the water freezes, rather than damaging the pipe itself.)

If 'twere me, and the supply pipework just had to be outside - no other feasible options, I think I'd be looking at what's called a trace heating system to prevent the supply pipes freezing. There are several available. Basically it's a low wattage heating wire system that sticks along the pipework before you apply the insulation on top. When the temperature drops to the point where the contents may freeze, it kicks in and applies just enough heat to stop that happening. You can get both 230v and I think 24v systems. They aren't that cheap, but better than having burst pipes. Fairly low cost to run as they only operate when absolutely necessary.

SomersetDee (original poster)

#22: Post by SomersetDee (original poster) »

keepitsimple wrote:Hello, Dee

Yes - I'm sure the plastic overflow pipe is freeze resistant, in that it is pliable enough to allow the contents to freeze without splitting, and is itself not degraded by the kind of temperatures that you're likely to meet in a UK winter. It doesn't mean the water in the pipe won't freeze though ;o( You'll only find out when the water won't drain. Not likely to do much damage though - only inconvenient.

>>>....
Hi Rob Eaton

It has been less than two weeks and already I am having very slow drain. You can see the stagnant water in the small sink.
Surprisingly, there is smooth draining of the water from the espresso machine. Only the mini sink refuses to drain smoothly. Looks like I might have to change the drain pipe. I am investigating this more fully before jumping ahead to buy more drain pipes though.
regards
Dee

keepitsimple

#23: Post by keepitsimple »

Hello, Dee.

Hmmmm......

To start with, it looks from the picture as if the drain pipe from the glass washer has an upward gradient - it will never work if so. At the very least, you need to lift the device so that the drain has a downward gradient all the way.

The "U-bend" you created outside will hold a lot of water and will also be very prone to blocking with such a large volume of water, and very sharp bends.

To be honest, I'm fairly dubious about the complete drainage setup as you currently have it, but you probably figured that out already. I suspect you will have to re-engineer it using proper drainage components and a careful design to get it to work successfully. :|

SomersetDee (original poster)

#24: Post by SomersetDee (original poster) replying to keepitsimple »

Hi Rob,

I am surprised and pleased to say that the draining system has been working faultlessly now (touch wood). I did do a simple modification to it. I introduced a vertical air intake pipe. It was just a trial attempt based on many suggestions. But to my surprise, it is now draining quite rapidly. Even with all the water from group heads + hot-water spout + the rinser sink running simultaneously, it seems to just about drain rapidly enough. I have not insulated the copper pipes yet, but I will put the lagging on before the end of summer. Thanks Rob for your support. Without all this support through this forum I might have chickened away from a proper espresso coffee setup. I am changing my grinder (from the current Gaggia/Macap MX to a Mazzer (which comes later this week). Hopefully there will be enough space. Thanks Rob. (Also thanks to Stan or Oldstan from the South-West whose informative reply disappeared before I could respond!)
regards
Dee