Considerations before buying used La Valentina?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lilepad

#1: Post by lilepad »

Hello, I'm new here and considering a purchase of a used La Valentina, which would be my first "real" espresso machine. It had been used at a local restaurant but the previous owner reports her employees couldn't make a consistently good drink so they discontinued. She reports that it might need a new O-ring because it hasn't been used in a while but felt it would work perfectly otherwise.

Before I make the purchase, what are your thoughts on replacing the O-ring? Likely? Where would I get one?

It is set up to be plumbed in. I'm not sure if I'm ready to drill holes in my countertop. Would the Flo-jet option be a good way to test drive? Or should I just go big and drill the holes?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Hi Lindsey and welcome!

You can run just about any plumb-in off a flo-jet without much difficulty.

Gaskets are widely available, they cost around $5.

Given the description of the staff's competence, it's a fairly good bet that the machine was never properly cleaned nor maintained during use, and is suffering in result. The question is not whether but how much more it will need than a new gasket.

At minimum you want to visit the machine, make sure it heats up, the porta-filter goes in and out, and that the pump, water tap, steam valve, three way valve, and gauge all work. Bring your tools. If at all possible you want to take the top and sides off as well, so you can look at the machine's internal condition -- especially for scale and/or rust.

Unless you're looking for a project more than an espresso machine, avoid anything with a lot of visible scaling.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

lilepad (original poster)

#3: Post by lilepad (original poster) »

Thanks Rich

I think my lack of experience with a real machine has me thinking this isn't a good decision. I forgot to mention it's only $150 but I wouldn't know where to begin to seek help if it needs to be serviced. It's currently at a consignment shop so there's no way I can test the heating ability without taking it home. They're selling it "as-is" so I couldn't return it either.

Perhaps I need to start with a more basic and new machine.

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM »

If they are willing to let it go for $150 someone will likely pick it up, but you could always tell them after investigation it's too risky for you at $150. Offer to remove it if they don't find any takers, or offer $50 just for the machine to look into.
(I snagged an old machine far gone for $50. I learned quite a bit by ripping it apart.)
LMWDP #445