Quick Mill Silvano power light

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
b33k34

#1: Post by b33k34 »

I've had my Silvano about 10 days now and there's a bit of strangeness I've just noticed -

If the machine is switched off on the front toggle switch, but the steam is switched off at the back, then the green power light is dimly lit. Switching the steam power to 'on' (with the machine still off - ie no power to the steam unit) and the green light goes out completely.

I wouldn't have expected any capacitors in the unit so I'm struggling to think what would cause this? Any ideas as to whether normal?

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

Mine is about a year old and has never shown that behavior. Sounds potentially risky, though I'm no electrician.

Advertisement
FernandoF

#3: Post by FernandoF »

I see the exact same thing on my Silvano. It's really intriguing - I've even tried leaving it unplugged overnight, and in the morning the dim green light was still there...

Having said that, I personally see no reason for concern, as I've been pulling nothing but great shots for almost 2 years now. Enjoy your new machine !

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

FernandoF wrote:I've even tried leaving it unplugged overnight, and in the morning the dim green light was still there...
So, without any power the light is on? Have you discovered cold fusion?!
Scott
LMWDP #248

FernandoF

#5: Post by FernandoF »

I wish I had discovered cold fusion, but I have probably just discovered a capacitor or something like that...

Yesterday I left it unplugged again, and after SEVERAL hours the dim green light finally died. I guess that makes more sense.

b33k34 (original poster)

#6: Post by b33k34 (original poster) »

That makes sense - so there's some sort of capacitor in circuit somewhere. Seems strange that the position of the steam power switch has any impact on it

hmm....unless it's just discharged through the steam heat block if it's switched on. I wonder if switching the steam to 'off' AFTER switching the machine off makes a difference. Will wait for dark.

b33k34 (original poster)

#7: Post by b33k34 (original poster) »

no, that doesn't do it. Whenever it's powered on at the wall with the steam switched off there's a dim green light on.

Advertisement
MikeG123

#8: Post by MikeG123 »

Hello There!

If you have not fixed this yet, I have the solution to your problem. I recently bought a Quick Mill Silvano and had the same exact problem. I noticed this within the first week of purchase and called a technician over at Chris's Coffee where I purchased the machine from to help me fix the issue. Basically you have a feedback loop of electricity.
The machines were produced and assembled in Italy where they have a different electricity system than us in the US (over-simplification). Anyway, there is the ac plug on the back of the machine that has the ground reversed. What needs to be done is you have to remove the screws on the top of the machine and the metal lid sort of can be pulled back. You will see exactly where the cord fits into the AC plug....one of the grounds is reversed.
I do not have time to take my machine apart and tell you which one it is...(perhaps a future posting including pictures), however, if you call Chris's Coffee and ask for the tech dept. they will tell you exactly which one to reverse.

Perfect fix!
Regards,
-Mike