Convert Mahlkönig K30 stepped to stepless

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BobBob

#1: Post by BobBob »

Hello,
I came across a good deal on a 'Expobar' (Mahlkönig) grind-on-demand stepped grinder and went ahead and bought it. It differs from the Vario in that it is stepped, rather than stepless. It is possible to hold the step-release out manually, but this obviously is not a solid solution to fine-tuning the grind. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the Stepped K30 (ES) to stepless? If so, how would you do it?
Would appreciate any advice. Cheers!

russel

#2: Post by russel »

You can buy the needed K30 Vario parts from Mahlkoenig, but it's more than just a replacement lid and is a costly change...

You could DIY something similar, having never done so I'm not sure what issues you might come across.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

BobBob (original poster)

#3: Post by BobBob (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.
I'll need to look into it a bit more, then.
Cheers!

Flipper

#4: Post by Flipper »

Hi!

Nice catch of the K30!
You need the following parts:
Cover lid with adjustment knob
small parts set for the K0 Vario
2 rails (for clamping+distance)
This stuff is about €450,- in Europe, so not really a bargain. At your present setup each step changes your particle size with app. 12 µm...I never had a problem with dialing in with the ES ;-)
You can contact Mallkönig US for the part if you really want to do it.

Flipper

#5: Post by Flipper »

Hey,

just saw that you are from Sweden....of course no need to contact Mahlkönig US then ;-)

@3aan

#6: Post by @3aan »

Its not only the top but also the grind chamber is different. :(
LMWDP #377 @3aan

Flipper

#7: Post by Flipper »

no, the inbuilt grinder with the grind chamber is the same. There are only to different versions in all of the K30's in the market

BobBob (original poster)

#8: Post by BobBob (original poster) »

Thanks for that rundown of parts.
After having used the grinder a while, I'm realizing the stepless adjustment is not much of an issue, given my skill-level. It's definitely good to know that the option is there, should it become a concern, though. I'm still trying to reach better consistency with dosing, tamping and flushing once I've determined the best grinder setting, so can't say I can single out the steps of the grinder as being a dooming variable for good extractions at this point. Overall very happy with the K30.
Cheers for all the replies.

BobBob (original poster)

#9: Post by BobBob (original poster) »

I'll keep you posted if I ever decide to do the conversion.

bmb

#10: Post by bmb »

I have a stepped MACAP, and don't miss the step less ...

As I dose by weigh, for smaller adjustments, I only have to add or decrease 1/2 gram from the dose I'm using.

As a matter of fact, for me it's easier to dial-in this way as messing with the grinder, and use the same method also with the step less ones.