Any Artisan TC4C user willing to help an newbie.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BenKeith

#1: Post by BenKeith »

I put the cart before the horse just a little and ordered the TC4 Shield Kit, the LCD display and the ZCD. I haven't ordered the TC4C because at the time, I was unsure which setup I needed. Now I'm started to think it would be best if I just wrote off the $120 I've spent and not spend another $120 for the TC4C because after looking at what's required and my lack of programming knowledge, which looks as though that's going to be rather extensive, I may have bitten off more than I wanna chew. I did a little C and C+ back in the mid 80's but that has long been forgotten, and I'm under the impression this pretty much uses C++, or something similar. Electronics, computers, and mechanical is no problem.

If I go ahead with this project, I'm going to need some extensive help with the programming and have no outside source for help, most of the people in the little one horse town I live in don't even know how to spell computer, much less do any programming.

I know Homeroasters.org is suppose to be the knowledge base for this system, but I made a post there yesterday evening and so far, no one has responded, so its looking like I'm on my own, unless someone here is willing to help a dumb**s.

Maybe in the near future if things don't look any better than now, somebody would be interested in a good deal on everything to build a complete TC4 system, except the TC4C.

JimG

#2: Post by JimG »

Hi, BenKeith

I suspect that the relative silence at HRO is closely related to the complexity of your project :D

While I am confident that everything you plan can be accomplished with the TC4 system, I doubt that there are many who have already done so.

There is a large user/knowledge base for logging and monitoring roasts with TC4 systems using Artisan and Roastlogger. There is also a sizable group who are controlling their Hottop roasters.

But when it comes to controlling servos, gas valves, AC motors, solenoids, etc., the numbers dwindle to only a handful of people I would classify as experts. There is enough capability in the TC4 system hardware to do the things you want, but you will be amongst a fairly small group who have done so.

Hopefully this doesn't prevent you from having a successful outcome, but I think that is the reality of the situation.

My suggestion would be to narrow your first steps down to a few specifics, or perhaps to begin with some "canned" TC4 programs for logging roasts with Artisan or Roastlogger, so the community knows where to start helping you out.

Jim

Advertisement
BenKeith (original poster)

#3: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

Jim, as the old saying goes, I know I need to learn to walk before I can run, but I haven't figured out how to get out of the cradle yet with the software. There are so many different versions I'm not sure what, when, or where to start. I downloaded and installed aArtisa-REL-200a, TC4-StdLib-300, arduino-1.0.5-r2, audrino-nightly-windows but not sure what I'm looking at, or even if they are what I need. I'm pretty good at figuring things out I don't know squat about if I have something to go by but right now, it's like trying to fly the space shuttle without any instructions. Just a little step by by step instruction to get me up and into the programs or an arrow pointing me in the direction I need to go for getting that info. This all might come with the TC4C and since I'm going at bassakwards,I don't have it. If there is printed material I can learn what I need to do this, I can probably get it figured out, with a lot less help. At least I would be able to as intelligent questions when I did need help.

JimG

#4: Post by JimG »

Are you, ahem, suggesting that the documentation for the TC4 project is a bit on the sparse side?

In addition to a grotesquely long forum thread, there are also several downloadable files on HRO that will help make sense of things. In particular, look at the downloads prepared by JackH and Barrie Fairley (you must be logged in to see these).

The source code, along with readme files, also contain helpful information. All of the source code can be found here (TC4 googlecode site). Go to Source -> Browse -> applications.

The board schematics, which also have useful notations, can be found on the same googlecode site: Source -> Browse -> hardware.

Unfortunately, Google has recently disallowed creating new downloads on their code sites. So finding the latest versions of TC4 sketches is more difficult than it strictly needs to be. (We are not the only ones scrambling to find ways around this problem).

To get started with a TC4 system and Artisan, download the aArtisan.ino sketch, version 3.00 (zip file). All of the libraries needed to compile are included in the zip file.

Probably the better forum for further discussion is homeroasters.org, so I suggest we move in that direction for follow ups.

Jim

SAS
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by SAS »

Unfortunately, Google has recently disallowed creating new downloads on their code sites. So finding the latest versions of TC4 sketches is more difficult than it strictly needs to be. (We are not the only ones scrambling to find ways around this problem).
What about a Dropbox account for the H-B Roasting forum? Just for files, no photos.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

BenKeith (original poster)

#6: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

I wasn't saying there was no info, I was saying there was too much info for somebody that didn't know squat about to sort through and figure out what they needed. However, after the light bulb finally came on in this thick skull of mine, everything is all worked and out and we are good to go for a good while now.