Baratza Vario calibration out of whack

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kmetzger

#1: Post by kmetzger »

I bought my Vario (not the W) about 2 and a half years ago. The ceramic burrs are clean and in good condition and I use freshly roasted beans, but over the years I seem to have calibrated the burrs totally out of whack and the grind is much too fine. I used to have the macro button one step from the top and the micro about in the middle. Now I have both buttons at the lowest setting: micro on coarser and macro on "press" but it takes about two minutes to get an espresso without tamping at all. I have read the Baratza manual, read all the forum discussions and watched numerous youtube demonstrations. When I use the tool to adjust clockwise (looking at it from the top) there is no change in sound. I would be very grateful for some help with this problem.
Kim

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Your lower burr could be stuck... when you coarsen up the grounds and lower the macro and micro levers the force of gravity is all that widens the gap between the burrs. With the grinder turned off, you could try pushing down on the lower burr with a chopstick to see it if will drop any further. If so, maybe a cleaning is in order, but if you take off the bottom burr, be sure to vacuum out all the grounds and make sure that everything is clean before putting the burr back on to prevent any issues.

Since only the force of gravity opens the gap, when I adjust from espresso to pour-over, I'll often run the grinder and lower the macro all the way and then bring it back to the desired setting to make sure that the gap is set where I want it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

kmetzger (original poster)

#3: Post by kmetzger (original poster) »

Thank you very much, Chris. When I removed the upper burr there was indeed a gap between the lower burr and the thing it rests on. There was also some very coarsely ground coffee on top of the lower burr. I'll have to look into the problem further and figure out how to keep that lower burr where it belongs and then how to calibrate it.