1/4" vs 3/8" Espresso Machine Plumb-in

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coolio

#1: Post by coolio »

Hi all,

I started a thread 10 days ago about using a Flojet. Now it looks like it won't be necessary, and I have found a way to plumb the water and drain. I currently have a 1/4" copper water line running up from the floor behind my fridge. It currently has a brass fitting that allows a stainless braided hose to screw in connecting it to the fridge. I plan on splitting off the copper water line with a John Guest kit from Chris Coffee. https://www.chriscoffee.com/Water-Softe ... ftsysg.htm My espresso machine will eventually be an Elektra T1 that has a 3/8 connection. The rep at Chris Coffee told me to get the 1/4" kit.

My 3 questions:

1. I've read a lot on this site to use a 3/8" line. Should I listen to the tech and go 1/4", or order the 3/8" kit. My water pressure very strong.

2. Is it OK to connect a John Guest fitting directly to the copper water line?

3. I'm going to run my drain hose down through the floor behind the fridge to a drain in the floor in the basement. It's about a 17' vertical run. I can only find 10' sections of tubing, so how do you connect 2 hoses together?

Also, I'm planning on doing the install myself. BTW, here's a pic of the water line behind my fridge:

Thanks,
Mark

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

A "Tee" on the end of the copper line would be one way to go. Then put the JG fitting in the Tee and Bob's your uncle! Two benefits of the 3/8" over the 1/4" are that 3/8" is less likely to kink (harder to muck it up) and the larger diameter offers less resistance to water flow. The downside is that bends take a larger radius. Also, if your pressure is high I would recommend you install a pressure regulator at the espresso machine's end of the run. I rand the CC 3/8" kit including replacing the entire run for the fridge as JG and eliminating the copper line completely. Risking redundancy:
I have two articles on my website which document plumbing a machine in with JG parts:
Plumbing in an Espresso Machine - Part 1
Plumbing in an Espresso Machine - Part 2
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Replacing that 1/4" copper line with 3/8" would be the way to go as 1/4" will limit the water flow to the pump.
LMWDP 267

coolio (original poster)

#4: Post by coolio (original poster) »

Thanks Randy.

Can you provide me an example of a "T"? Would it be a JG "T", or a brass "T"? I'm on the Chris Coffee site trying to decide exactly which part I need. The copper water line currently has a brass fitting with a female end connected to the water line, and a male threaded end attached to the 1/4" stainless line running to the fridge. Do I remove the brass fitting that's on there currently?

Mark

Here's a better pic:

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

I was talking about a brass tee:
http://m4.sourcingmap.com/photo_new/201 ... ux_g03.jpg
Or similar. One in, two out
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

coolio (original poster)

#6: Post by coolio (original poster) »

Perfect! Thanks!