Dosing Weight Specifics

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
michca

#1: Post by michca »

Hello! I use a naked portafilter with my Gaggia Classic. I believe it's a double basket. I weigh out 26g of beans, grind them, and it seems to fill the basket perfectly and to the top and then I tamp to right below the line in the basket.

My question is....is 26g too much?! I've been reading and have always known that for a double basket, you use 14g but I think that would be too little of an amount. I would like to know your views on that.

Do you grind into your basket until the grounds fill it completely?
Do you weigh beans out first?

Thank you for your input.
-Michelle

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

You will need a 1/10th gram scale to do this; they cost around $10 on ebay.

As you dose lower, you need to grind finer so the shot doesn't gush but flows at its normal pace. When you grind finer, the coffee extracts more. These higher extractions taste softer and sweeter (flavors extract first, caramels and buffers last). So you can play with the dose and grind, and see at what intensity level the shot tastes best to you.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
pShoe

#3: Post by pShoe »

Did the naked portafilter you purchased come with a basket, and if so are you using it? My naked PF came with a triple basket. I never pull triples, but 26g seems normal. Dosing 14g in a standard double basket would not "be too little of an amount," but you'll definitely have to grind finer than you are for 26g. I've never used a Gaggia Classic, but different machines respond differently based on the head space between the top of the puck and the shower screen. There are some great in depth threads already about lower, or rather classic dosing weights. Check out the FAQ section to get started and then start experimenting.

michca (original poster)

#4: Post by michca (original poster) »

to: another_jim

AH, thank you......that makes sense. I have the Jennings CJ4000 scale. I guess I will experiment with that info tomorrow.

michca (original poster)

#5: Post by michca (original poster) »

to: pShoe

OH I just looked up the pf I own...its a triple basket. I've tried to punch out the basket but it's difficult. I wonder if I could fit my double basket in it if the triple basket pops out anytime soon.

edit: Just put the double basket into my pf. Amazing! You'd think after 4 months I would know this stuff by now. I seriously learn something daily about this art.