HG One grinding, dosing and cleaning routine - what's your method? - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
achipman

#41: Post by achipman »

I'm guessing that since you're not using naked pf's, you wouldn't notice the problem. Those of needing the stir are the ones with naked pf's getting spritzed in the eye because there's no bottoms to catch them. :|
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

achipman

#42: Post by achipman »

RioCruz wrote:
I don't use the blind tumbler. It's a bit too heavy for my taste and I need something that accepts both 45mm and 49mm baskets. So I made this one out of wood that works really well...
Really jealous of your mods, btw!
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

RioCruz

#43: Post by RioCruz »

achipman wrote:I'm guessing that since you're not using naked pf's, you wouldn't notice the problem. Those of needing the stir are the ones with naked pf's getting spritzed in the eye because there's no bottoms to catch them. :|
Seems to me this is Nature's way of telling you NOT to use a naked portafilter! :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

achipman

#44: Post by achipman replying to RioCruz »

LOL! You may be right on that point... but it's so pretty! :mrgreen:

erik82

#45: Post by erik82 »

RioCruz wrote:Seems to me this is Nature's way of telling you NOT to use a naked portafilter! :)
Seems to me like it's nature's way to tell you that you f***ed up your distribution and shot and that it could be much better :mrgreen: .

zix (original poster)

#46: Post by zix (original poster) »

Well... Tomorrow's Monday again, yet another work week with the HG One, and another chance to put the funnel wiper on. I will bring the scale and see if that makes a difference.
To end the week for this thread on a bright note, here is the best double shot of the weekend, pulled on the Bacchi a.k.a. the Rocket, with the Lido 1 as a grinder. A little bit too fresh perhaps, but that's just part of the adventure :) it's a nice motta anyhow.
LMWDP #047

RedMan

#47: Post by RedMan »

Wow, haven't read this thread for a while and missed the pictures of Rio's wood dosing tools, handles and stabilizer for the hg-1. Beautiful work!

Stuff like that really gives you inspiration. I've had a search going for a used lathe for months because I want to get started to try and make similar tools. But family, work and all the upgrades I want in coffee gear keep getting in the way... :)

RioCruz

#48: Post by RioCruz »

RedMan wrote: I've had a search going for a used lathe for months because I want to get started to try and make similar tools.
I got mine new about 10 years ago off eBay for about $200. They still have them there and for about the same price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141115635066?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
I would say the lathe is one of the best tools I have ever purchased! I use it almost everyday for one thing or another...right up there with my espresso machines and grinder. :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle