Compak K10 Pro Barista burr carrier cross thread. - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
F1 (original poster)

#11: Post by F1 (original poster) »

I'm sending it to Chris's Coffee. They are going to try and repair it. I'll post when I get it back.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Peppersass »

JohnB. wrote:Might be time to take a look in there. Along with those grounds that supposedly don't come out no matter how old & decayed they get the sweepers & burr chamber surfaces do get coated with coffee oils. The grounds that definitely do come out every time you grind a dose are in contact with those coated surfaces & after 4 years I expect that those oils are getting pretty rancid.
What evidence do we have that the supposedly rancid coffee oils that come in contact with grounds hitch a ride into the cup? I'm sure coffee oils come off my dirty shower screen, but they get a bath of hot water. Hard to imagine that ground coffee will scrape off a significant amount of coffee oil from inside my grinder, but I'm willing to accept whatever proof you have that this actually happens.

Look, people who've read my posts here know that I'm a pretty handy fellow who doesn't hesitate to take apart a very expensive machine to clean or repair it -- even when it's brand-new and under warranty! But there's something scary about messing with those fine burr carrier threads in the K10 that gives me the willies -- especially when it doesn't appear to be necessary.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

Proof?? I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone that removing old decaying grounds & rancid oils from their coffee grinder is a good idea. I've seen what builds up in the burr chamber & that's all the proof I needed that a regular cleaning was a good idea. Have you let the coffee oils build up in the doser for 4 years? Take a look inside the burr chamber & make up your own mind.

With the cover attached removing & reinstalling the upper burr carrier really isn't that big a deal. After setting the carrier assy. back into the cavity I always turn the assy. clockwise an inch or so to make sure it's sitting flat before going counter clockwise to screw it in.
LMWDP 267

damonbowe

#14: Post by damonbowe »

Peppersass wrote:What evidence do we have that the supposedly rancid coffee oils that come in contact with grounds hitch a ride into the cup? I'm sure coffee oils come off my dirty shower screen, but they get a bath of hot water.

But there's something scary about messing with those fine burr carrier threads in the K10 that gives me the willies -- especially when it doesn't appear to be necessary.
I have seen some particularly oily coffees that stick to everything. It's gross. But I agree that people on here who back flush after every shot, and take their grinders apart once a month, might want to think about doing something better with their time.