Considering used Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
fishairflow

#1: Post by fishairflow »

My very good friend who had this brand new machine for 4 years (wedding gift) took it out of the attic a week ago and after using it twice wants to sell it to me for 1000$.

Is that a good deal? There are no parts missing and I can personally vouch for the history of the espresso machine.

Do these things break down?
Should I just spend the same money and get Rancilio Silvia with a grinder? I can't help but think this is a once in a life time opportunity....
Thanks....

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

That seems to be about what it's worth. You would be getting an almost new MCAL without a warranty and maybe in need of cleaning or servicing if he's left water in it or if he hasn't cleaned coffee residue from his initial attempts. The new ones go for about $1350. You may also want to check for corrosion at the top of the cylinder since it's been sitting unused.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

fishairflow (original poster)

#3: Post by fishairflow (original poster) »

What??? 1350? I looked around and can't find it cheaper than 1895....

russel

#4: Post by russel »

Try the vendors that sponsor this site... :wink:
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

fishairflow wrote:What??? 1350? I looked around and can't find it cheaper than 1895....
Unless you're confusing the Microcasa a Leva manual lever with the Semiautomatica, which would be a wonderful choice and a steal at $1K.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#6: Post by fishairflow (original poster) »

So here's the deal. My friend will give it to me for $800. Furthermore he would also give me the stand $150 which is actually brand-new never used.

I don't know what grinder to do get.

Do you guys think it would be best to just get my coffee beans from a local coffee shop and just avoid buying a grinder altogether?

What would be a life expectancy of this machine if I use it occasionally by that I mean usually once or twice a week?

Does this machine breakdown that often.?

Is it easy to get it repaired if I need to?

Comparing this to Silvia would you guys rather get a Silvia and a grinder or just this machine given that I'm getting it for only $800?

Again I'm very grateful for all your advice I'm going to finalize the deal soon so I will be very grateful if you can help me with any questions thank you so much!

Eastsideloco

#7: Post by Eastsideloco »

You will need a grinder at home regardless of the machine you purchase. I'd get the Semi, especially at that friends & family price.

If you're tight on space for a grinder, check out Baratza products. The Vario will match well with this machine. If your budget is tight, check out the Preciso. Note that refurbished machines are occasionally available at a discount on the Baratza website.

If I had any home cafe mottos, one of them would be: "If it's good enough for another_jim, it's more than good enough for me." This is one of Jim's home setups:

#8: Post by fishairflow (original poster) »

So just an update picked up this machine for $720.

:D :D :)