Powerful steam wand, small pitcher - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
boar_d_laze

#21: Post by boar_d_laze »

c0ff33h4x0r wrote:Finally remembered to look today. It's around 1.2-1.3 bar on the steam side. I wonder if I can adjust this somehow. Time to RTFM.
To save you from (heaven forfend) reading the f#ck!ng manual, boiler pressure is adjusted at the p-stat.

I trust Eric, but check with Chris or someone else who specifically knows the NS Appia to make sure that 1.0 is the correct maximum. 1.0 bar is not universal. For instance, the correct, idling boiler pressure for my singe group commercial, a La Cimbali M21, is 1.2 bar.

The right boiler pressure is something of a balance. A lowered boiler pressure might reduce steam pressure enough to make steaming in a small pitcher a little easier, but it will also lower the boiler temp and increase the heat exchanger's temperature recovery time.

What about getting a larger pitcher?

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

victoriacoffees

#22: Post by victoriacoffees »

I've used the Appia for catering and as a sampling machine in the shop. Steaming power is great but does take some getting used to if coming from a home machine.

You can adjust the boiler pressure down to 1 bar. As Rich stated, you will reduce steam pressure so the 3rd person in line may have to wait a few seconds while the machine recovers. Recovery is pretty quick so they wouldn't have to wait too long.
John V.