Astoria 2-group espresso machine - done!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
albert paca

#1: Post by albert paca »

after many years sitting in the garage, i have finally worked this astoria into shape in the last two months and plumbed it in and made a coffee this afternoon (crazily with a hand grinder). after two utterly messtastic attempts, on the third time, FANTASTICO!

it has weird mechanical timers, but otherwise is pretty simple. i did an awful job of painting it orange, and if it stays with me, i will get it properly done (i seem to be incapable of doing a proper paint job....) it is pretty much done otherwise - needs two timer knobs, a drain setup and a new power light. pretty good for something a repairman gave me for free when i asked him how i could learn how these things work! it had obviously been sitting in the trailer outside for a while, so it is good to have it working and looking all sweetly orange and joyous....
i wanted to say thanks to those people who helped me when i was stumped with this machine - if anyone ever has any questions about this style of astoria, i would be happy to help with what little i know....
cheers!

....the mechanical timers, one of which needs a little attention, but surprisingly the other is working fine after all these years even though it is all plastic....

...ages ago when it was stripped and cleaned and all seals replaced, elements, wiring.....

the only thing that needed attention after the complete rebuild and first firing up was one leaking connection at the left group, and cleaning out the vacuum valve which was hissing steam. just goes to show that sometimes things just work out. savour that moment!

i have no idea whether it will stay with me and whether i can cope with the kind of caffeine fugues that i am sure are ensuing.... perhaps it will go, and i will just love my little caravel all the better for its divine simplicity and sheer reliability? we shall see....

espressotime

#2: Post by espressotime »

Great job!
I love the look of the machines of that time period.
The orange looks great.
If the paint job isn't 100%? It'your paint job.You did it just like you restored the machine.Makes it that extra bit more personal. :mrgreen:

pocojoe

#3: Post by pocojoe »

Great Job! Great choice in color, don't fret about the paint job, the function is to keep rust at bay! Savor the coffee, and keep posting- thanks for the photos.
PocoJoe
Safety Third- First Roast, then Grind

IMAWriter

#4: Post by IMAWriter replying to pocojoe »

+1