Arrarex Caravel Elements + Tampers, La Pavoni Tampers - Page 3

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
crazy4espresso

#21: Post by crazy4espresso »

Order placed. This will mean I no longer have to pull the 50lb transformer from the cabinet as often. Thanks Paul!
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

Javier

#22: Post by Javier »

I just placed an order for the 110v heating element!!!!
LMWDP #115

drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

I'm about to do first reviews for Favorite Espresso Blends, 2014. We moved into a new place without the proper 240 volt outlet. Although I have a humungous transformer for my North roaster that would make my Caravel work in native mode, the Caravel can now sit on my counter and yield its layered perfectly temped shots thanks to Paul's heating element. I installed it today and it works!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ideaofnorth

#24: Post by ideaofnorth »

Curious about what circumstances would lead one to replace the element? I've been using my Caravel almost daily for over a year, but recently ran into an issue. I left the power on (using a transformer as I'm in the U.S.) for around 3 hours. We had guests so I was hoping to keep the water up to temperature so I could pull shots as needed. The power light is now on but I'm getting zero heat. Could the element need replacing or could it be another issue? I considered also an immersion heating element, but would prefer to keep the Caravel stock.

Thanks in advance!

drgary
Team HB

#25: Post by drgary »

One can test the heating element with a multimeter to see if there's continuity and resistance, starting at the spades of the power cord because the microswitch is normally closed. If things aren't right there remove the heating element and test its terminals. If it tests well, has the microswitch gone bad? That can be tested for continuity with the multimeter and there should be no resistance. If all of these test well your transformer could be malfunctioning. Added: I tried to measure resistance in the 220V element with my primitive analog multimeter and didn't get useful readings to give as a guideline. Doing online Ohm's formula calculations suggests that 550w, 220v should give 88 ohms resistance and 2.5 amps.

The Cafelat heating element works like an original. It's inexpensive and an easy installation and you can plug right into your power source without a transformer. Perhaps you could get a converter between the three round prongs and 110V three prongs or swap out the plug and keep the original part.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!