Faema Due - purpose of small holes in stainless front panel near grouphead?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
heilong

#1: Post by heilong »

On my Faema Due I noticed there are two small holes drilled in the top part of the stainless panel, between group head and the steam wand. Looking at pictures of other espresso machines I've seen similar holes this one or more times on other makes and models. And a few machines have multiple/many bigger holes drilled around the group head area. The only idea I have is they are for some ventilation, but on my machine there are so small that I think much more ventilation would occur around the group head itself or near the steam wand.
Any ideas on the purpose of these holes? Main reason I'm asking is I want to put a couple of metal LED bezels on this panel and I want to use one of the holes as a mounting location.

On the pictures, the holes I'm talking about are on the penciled line, on the right side. A dimple on the left side is a location for the other LED bezel I marked with a punch.

Mouldy

#2: Post by Mouldy »

On my old Faema E61 I have similar sized holes on the panel which are locations of rivets that attach to the frame (to fasten the panel to the frame). Are there any holes in corresponding locations on the machine frame (i.e is it possible these are for rivets on your machine also)? It's a bit hard to determine from the photos as to the approximate diameter of the holes.

heilong (original poster)

#3: Post by heilong (original poster) »

The panel is attached with 4 screws (holes close to the panel's edge). There's nothing immediately behind the holes in question, when the panel is on the machine. These two holes are 2.3mm (~3/32") in diameter which seems to small for a rivet.

bongani

#4: Post by bongani »

That panel is used on other machine models. The holes on your machine are used elsewhere for rivets. This has been created to save time and resources.

heilong (original poster)

#5: Post by heilong (original poster) »

I thought part unification might be the reason. Looks like very small rivets, then...
Thanks.