I-Roast 2 profile question

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BenKeith

#1: Post by BenKeith »

Old saying when things start going bad, everything goes bad. Well after spending a couple months fighting channeling problems, now my old iR2 seems to be skipping a beat.
None of my old programs work because it seems to have lost the control the 380 and 385 degree temps. Works fine up to 375 degrees but if I use 380 or 385, the roast stalls at what ever temp it was at when it suppose increase at those, then it picks back up again at 390 degrees. This is making it almost impossible to program a descent profile through the first crack. I've been trying all kinds of programs and this one seems to be as close as I can get without stalling it or finishing the roast off in about seven minutes. I would like for some of ya'll with some roast knowledge tell me if I'm ok, of should I go ahead and bring the 390 in a couple of minutes sooner and just let it blast on through the first crack and finish the roast.

Please don't ask me how it taste, I couldn't tell you. I don't like the taste of black coffee but I don't want to be serving sewer water to guest.

Forgot to mention, this was a Guatemala Hue.

I never roast much past the second crack which comes at 441 - 443 degrees, depending on the bean and with my hearing, and the noise of the iR-2, I can't hear the first crack but my granddaughter say it sound like it's coming in about 380 - 385. The 390 will take me to 445 degrees with most beans, the 400 is just to keep it from stalling if one happens not to reach the 445 degrees in that time set, which is about the max I usually take a roast. I should also mention, these temps are from a bead probe in the bottom of the chamber sitting in the bean mass, not from the roasters temps.

This chart is in .5 (1/2) minute increments.