ECM Technika Profi IV questions on housekeeping

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Hwynboy

#1: Post by Hwynboy »

I just got this machine and wow is it amazing. I'm Just curious to know what people do for a backflushing and descaling regimen? I'm also unclear as to how to descale this machine I thought I read somewhere that only a professional can descale this thing...am I mistaken on that? Any thoughts would be appreciated

keno

#2: Post by keno »

I backflush my Technika with water after every session. Followed by wiping down the filter screen and group gasket. I backflush with detergent only when I notice a drop off in shot quality or taste defects, about every month or two. The detergent can be a little harsh on the lever which may then require lubrication if it sticks otherwise you risk wearing out some parts.

I don't descale much at all as my water is very soft since I have a whole house water softener.

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Hwynboy wrote:I just got this machine and wow is it amazing. I'm Just curious to know what people do for a backflushing and descaling regimen? I'm also unclear as to how to descale this machine I thought I read somewhere that only a professional can descale this thing...am I mistaken on that? Any thoughts would be appreciated

These questions and much more are available by searching thru the FAQ section of this forum, or simply, using the search function. You have a 3 way valve, it's not any different than any other E61 design in regards to back flushing or maintenance.

Backflushing... please explain what it is
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Hwynboy (original poster)

#4: Post by Hwynboy (original poster) »

Thanks Tom for your help. I have done some homework on the topic and I have read through those. I'm just curious what other people are doing with the same machine and their results. My biggest concern is the descaling part of the question, how others are doing it with this machine.

keno

#5: Post by keno »

Hwynboy wrote:I'm just curious what other people are doing with the same machine and their results. My biggest concern is the descaling part of the question, how others are doing it with this machine.
Descaling is not a function of the specific brand of machine. Though the technique is a little different depending on whether the machine is an HX versus a single or double boiler design. It is primarily a function of water hardness and amount of use.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie »

Hwynboy wrote:Thanks Tom for your help. I have done some homework on the topic and I have read through those. I'm just curious what other people are doing with the same machine and their results. My biggest concern is the descaling part of the question, how others are doing it with this machine.
Rich,
Your ECM is no different than an Alex, Vetrano, Domobar, etc. It's a reservoir fed E61 HX. They all need good water, both for espresso and for longevity. Test the water you are using to know what you are feeding your machine. That will help you predict when descaling might be due.

Checking your E61 for Scale should be done BEFORE you descale to see if it's even required.

If it is, Here are Simplified HX Descale Procedures
Merle

Hwynboy (original poster)

#7: Post by Hwynboy (original poster) »

Awesome thanks for the help everyone. I was confused when reading the manual it talked about a prophylactic descaling that should be done by a professional...so I was unsure about descaling my own machine. I'm guessing that is a machine that has bad buildup after reading your responses. Sorry for the confusion.