Tamping mat vs. tamping stand

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
bewiebe

#1: Post by bewiebe »

What are the opinions out there of using a tamping mat vs a tamping stand?

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

I have both and find myself using neither. The tamping mat I have came with another kit. I didn't find it any more useful than just using the edge of the counter. I bought my tamping stand with my grinder thinking it'd be a nice complement to my setup, and it is... only I found it raised my tamping arm to an unnatural position that didn't provide the same leverage. So I just use it to seat my PF between tamps.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

I use hockey pucks; more clearance than a mat and more stable than the specially designed stands.
LMWDP #435

Dayglow

#4: Post by Dayglow »

I use a rectangular piece of high temp, food safe plastic I had left over from some projects. It is about 1/4" thick and does real well to keep the PF spouts from leaving marks in the wood counter when I tamp. I mostly pull naked shots these days so spouts aren't a concern, but I still use it anyway. I definitely wouldn't pay money for one though.

bewiebe (original poster)

#5: Post by bewiebe (original poster) »

Hockey Pucks? I like that idea. That fits well with being Canadian. You can get them for 98 cents although an authentic Winnipeg Jets logoed could be twice that price.

SpromoSapiens

#6: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Folded bar towel on the counter.

I guess a mat would provide some cushion & stability; ive considered getting one, but i hesitate not knowing if tiny bits of overflow grinds would be annoying to clean off the clingy surface. I also always thought their primary purpose was to protect your counter from scuffs, for which of course you really don't need special equipment. I like the hockey puck idea though, particularly as a stand for a bottomless pf.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I use a hockey puck. My 52 mm OE dosing funnel slips over the handle of my tamper and I store the puck, tamper, and funnel in the cupboard, crammed in with all my other coffee toys so it stays nice and compact.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

UltramaticOrange

#8: Post by UltramaticOrange »

[creative nickname] wrote:I use hockey pucks; more clearance than a mat and more stable than the specially designed stands.
+1. Downside is that ground coffee tends to sneak underneath the puck.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

gregdreg

#9: Post by gregdreg »

I use a cork heat pad from Ikea.

SimonPatrice

#10: Post by SimonPatrice »

I like to use the rubber pad that came with the Lido1. Works great!
Patrice
LMWDP #428