Does Rancilio Rocky just get a bad rap on here? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pacificmanitou

#11: Post by pacificmanitou »

Randy G. wrote:A lot of the negative comments concerning the Rocky are from long-time home baristas here on HB. This forum is dedicated to "exceptional espresso" and many of us have come from a time when Rocky was "the" grinder for new home baristas making their first serious purchase of coffee equipment. This was well before the various Mazzer knock-offs were available and before Baratza had so many offerings as they do now- really, before Baratza was selling grinders at all. Those of us who have moved up to higher quality grinders such as those from Mazzer, Compak, OE, and HG-One know what a difference a good grinder can make. It is those experiences which have created mantra like "Grinder first" and prompted many to recommend better grinders.
+1

Theres nothing wrong with a rocky in that it can grind in the espresso range. For many home users, thats enough. On HB, the members tend to look toward the best possible, not just good enough. For the same reason, Silvia is shunned as a proper entry level machine.
LMWDP #366

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

I've never owned a Rocky nor even tried one. So I was surprised to see how well the Rocky did against a Robur in the Titan Grinder Project tests. It was able to match a Robur in low dose shots but not in other ranges. Yet that may be what raises the question for someone comparing a Rocky to a titan. Here's the link to that smackdown between the Rocky and Robur.

Titan Grinder Project: Can it Beat the Mazzer Robur?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!