ECM Technika IV Profi vs. Mechanika IV Profi

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
polysicks

#1: Post by polysicks »

Hi! I've been enjoying my espresso and browsing this site for a couple years, finally leading to thoughts of trading in Silvia for something with a lil' more oomph. I haven't been able to find a comparison of these models on the forums, and couldn't piece together clear distinctions from the manufacturer website, so thought I'd throw the question out to the cognoscenti.

I'm having a hard time figuring out distinguishing features between the ECM Mechanika and Technika IV Profi switchables. Is it largely cosmetic (rounded edges, cup holder tray)? A matter of build quality? Distinct internals?

Sadly there is no distributor in my part of Canada (Halifax, Nova Scotia) so it's not possible to see them in person.

NeedBeans

#2: Post by NeedBeans »

I have no direct experience with either machine, but some quick poking around via Google showed:

Technika IV Profi - Switchable tank/plumbed operation; rotary pump; pressure adjustment inside machine (1st-line)
Mechanika IV Profi - Appears to be tank only; vibratory pump; pressure adjustment accessible from top of machine with case closed (Bella Barista, Additional Info tab (UK base vendor))

Size and weight appear to be identical between the two. Keep in mind that the UK vendor may have a different machine than is available in North America even though they are named the same (in addition to 220v vs 110v difference).

Just some quick observations, you may be able to find some more info from these two sites.

Happy hunting!

Paul
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." —Oscar Wilde

Advertisement
polysicks (original poster)

#3: Post by polysicks (original poster) »

Thanks!

I think that's only partly correct though :wink:

On their website,http://www.ecm.de, you can see the listed tech specs for each model.

Both are available with switchable tanks and rotary pumps in the Profi WT-WC versions.

In fact they seem rather identical per "technical data" provided, so just curious if the differentiating factors are cosmetic/price.

NeedBeans

#4: Post by NeedBeans »

Well that certainly makes it confusing. Perhaps one is being phased out? Based on the detailed specs on ECM's site, it looks like they are the same machine. Why don't you try emailing ECM and see what they say.

Also, are both available in your market?
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." —Oscar Wilde

audunth

#5: Post by audunth »

Hi,

I'd like to clear up the confusion here, in case someone's still interested. I've just ordered myself an ECM Mechanika IV Profi WT-WC and ECM S-Automatik 64 grinder, and after some long phone conversations with the retailer, who is very knowledgeable on these machines, I found out that the differences are indeed only cosmetical. Both are available in 3 versions, base version with rotary steam and hot water valves, Profi with joystick-style valves (both with vibration pumps) and the Profi WT-WC with rotation pump and switchable between reservoir and water connection. The Mechanika has a cup warmer tray that covers the whole top, that you lift off with the cups in it to refill the water reservoir. The Technika has a smaller cup warmer tray with a hinged lid behind it to access the reservoir.

I've noticed some websites lists the weight as the same between all models, and others list the WT-WC versions weighing 3,5 kgs more (27 vs. 23,5), which makes sense.

I've also read that the WT-WC versions have insulation around the boiler instead of inside the side walls, but whether that also goes for the newer models of the two other versions I don't know.

Cheers,
Audun
Regards,
Audun

keno

#6: Post by keno »

polysicks wrote:I'm having a hard time figuring out distinguishing features between the ECM Mechanika and Technika IV Profi switchables. Is it largely cosmetic (rounded edges, cup holder tray)? A matter of build quality? Distinct internals?
If you are comparing the Profi switchable for both models, then according to the ECM website the only differences are cosmetic and are exactly as you mention:
  • Technika has thicker rounded panels
  • Technika panels extend above the top, Mechanika has rails for cup warmer
So make your decision based on price and style preference since the internals of these machines are identical. Both have a 2.1 liter stainless boiler and rotary pump, which distinguishes them from the base model and non-switchable Profi model. For me the stainless boiler is a major plus with this machine so I would confirm with the specific vendor that the machine includes the stainless boiler.

More info here:
http://www.ecm.de/1/espresso-machines/e ... chnika-iv/
http://www.ecm.de/1/espresso-machines/e ... hanika-iv/

RogerAN

#7: Post by RogerAN »

Hello Audun: Hilsener fra en amerikansk med norske besteforeldre!
I believe that the European ECM Technika Profi IV has a vibratory pump--the U.S. version has a rotary pump. I've had mine for about 4 months and am very pleased with it.

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#8: Post by boar_d_laze »

RogerAN wrote:I believe that the European ECM Technika Profi IV has a vibratory pump--the U.S. version has a rotary pump.
You're confusing apples with oranges somehow.

According to the English, German and Italian spec sheets on ECM's (German) website, the Technika and Mechanika lines use a vibratory pump for the non-convertible models. Similarly, WLL describes reservoir-only Technikas and Mechanikas as equipped with "vibration pumps," respectively here and here.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

RogerAN

#9: Post by RogerAN »

boar_d_laze wrote:You're confusing apples with oranges somehow.
Perhaps I am, Rich. I'm sure you are more experienced than I am, but my US model came with a manual that told how to adjust the pump pressure, and, as I learned from eric_s, this described the pressure adjustment for the Euro model. The US model is adjusted with a screw on the underside of the Technika Profi IV rather than under the cup warmer. :D