Using Funnels as Stands for Loading a Bialetti Moka Pot

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Here's a way to make the loading of a moka pot neater and easier by using funnels as stands. I'm using a six cup Bialetti that uses 1 cup of water to the boiler's fill line.

This small metal funnel makes a perfect stand. It's the largest one in the Norpro Three-Piece Funnel Set that's available for less than $10 online. (It may be the funnel provided with the new Olympia Express Creminas for filling the boiler.)

This is the Norpro Stainless Steel Wide-Mouth Funnel. It also perfectly fits a 58mm portafilter and costs less than $9 online.

After I pour in my ground coffee I tap it on a rubber tamp mat to distribute the grounds before removing the funnel. Then I complete distribution with a finger and flatten the coffee into the filter cup with my palm. The coffee grounds are not tamped in a moka pot. I use an Orphan Espresso LIDO 2 grinder at one full turn for moka. From memory, a Baratza Encore grinder takes a setting of about 12 to 14. I dose the cup with 2 1/2 Aeropress scoops of beans before grinding.

I like to use an Aeropress funnel to hold the moka pot top.

This is useful when adding an Aeropress paper filter for a cleaner and healthier* cup. I prefer the cleaner taste. To add that filter I wet it first and put it over the metal screen that's held in place with a rubber gasket. (Don't put the paper under the screen, which can cause a Bialetti sneeze.)

* Paper filtering is recommended by Aeropress inventor Alan Adler to remove coffee's cholesterol raising properties found in cafestol and kahweol. See this thread for that lengthy discussion, which I don't want to continue here.

The effect of espresso drinking on cholesterol
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dcupstateNY

#2: Post by dcupstateNY »

Gary, does that filter, in anyway, prevent the gasket from properly mating with the water reservoir?
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary (original poster) »

No. LVX suggested I do it this way. Here's the link to his blog about it.

Mokkapaperpot
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dcupstateNY

#4: Post by dcupstateNY »

Got it! Thanks!!
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346