Instructions for Pharos Voodoodaddy mod

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ghfaris

#1: Post by ghfaris »

Voodoodaddy Pharos instructions...does anyone have them?
I got the parts from him last year but never any instructions. I have installed the mod and it works great but I have some lingering questions. I emailed him but never received a reply and I see that he has not posted in a while. Does anyone have instructions left over from their own mod or some guidance that they are willing to offer me.

My main issue is the length of the steel shaft as it extends below the bottom bearing into the catch cup. Am i supposed to cut this off? I have left it for now.

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon replying to ghfaris »

I know Will aka voodoodaddy is swamped right now so return e-mails may take longer. IIRC he sent the instructions via PDF...but I didn't file them :roll: . Yes you need to cut the main shaft just below the bottom bushing. The only compromise to not cutting it would be additional grind accumulation on the shaft. I cut mine.

<edit> there is a thread discussion from last year about leaving the center burr shaft long and attaching a magnet to the end of the shaft that serves as the attachment method for the catch can (eliminates the o-rings). I know the catch can Fotondrv received from Will is magnetic; however mine has zero magnet attraction.

And at the end of the day I prefer to grind into my cut down re-purposed Ziploc plastic container as it is super slick and flexy allowing me to pour directly from it into the portafilter basket. But I thought I'd post this up for you for yet another alternative to cutting the burr shaft.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
ghfaris (original poster)

#3: Post by ghfaris (original poster) »

I figured the instructions came PDF, i just never got them and was hoping someone has them filed way and might be willing to share.

The magnet seems like a good idea, except neither my catch can or main shaft are magnetic.

I am also about to explore some other options like plastic for the catch can. This might help with pouring and cut down on the static cling.

ghfaris (original poster)

#4: Post by ghfaris (original poster) »

Will (voodoodaddy) contacted me with complete instructions on how to complete the install.

ciaodown

#5: Post by ciaodown »

Hi

I've just received my Pharos (#991) and have several of Will's mods installed. He was fantastic to work with. If you are doing this yourself, perhaps I can help out with a few photos of the finished product. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,