What burrs are these (Eureka/Nuova Simonelli?)?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
copydex

#1: Post by copydex »

I have a fairly old "Richiedere Macine D-75" grinder, which I believe to be the equivalent of the current Nuova Simonelli MCD-75. It's a big, commercial sort of machine which didn't cost too much to buy used and which I would like to keep going. I am presently doing my normal cleaning out and am trying to work if the burrs are in need of replacement, and, if they are, what sort to replace them with.

I have attached a few photos of the top and bottom burrs below (apologies for lack of camera skills) that I took during cleaning, to give an idea of the type. They measure 74mm externally with a 37.5mm internal diameter hole, and are 9mm tall. I believe they are right hand (RH) but am happy to be corrected on this if I am wrong. Searching around it seems that Eureka do replacement burrs that list (depending upon where you look) as being 74mm external, 37.5 (or 38)mm internal and 9mm high, with 3 mountings holes, which seems to be a perfect match, but from pictures/info I have found of the Eureka sort, they don't have the three raised bits around the internal edge of my current ones. Are these three raised bits vital? Are there any Eureka 74mm grinder owners who can advise on how similar yours are to mine? Do my current ones look in need of replacement?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. The photos:

DavidMLewis

#2: Post by DavidMLewis »

Since those burrs have a single fine set of teeth, something has to act as a pre-breaker to get the pieces of bean small enough to fit into the gap at the inside when the burrs go together. The three posts are apparently doing that in this design. The people at Espresso Resource know more about burrs than most people, and may be able to help.

Best,
David

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

David has a point. Burrs like this, without wider spaced burrs around the inside, usually need some kind of augur to make sure the beans feed. Does your grinder have a central augur?

The angle on these burrs is much more oblique than anything I've ever seen on commercial grinders. That bodes well for the grind quality (long grind path, and slower grinding). It could be that this oblique angle also makes the feed easier; although I'm not sure on that. In any case, you need to check any replacement for the burr angle. If the burr angle is more radial, the power required to turn it goes up. Contemporary 75mm grinders have 2/3rd to 3/4 HP motors (400 to 550 watts); if yours is lower power, it may need these obliquely cut burrs in order to function properly.
Jim Schulman

copydex (original poster)

#4: Post by copydex (original poster) »

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I had wondered about whether the three posts are there in order to assist with speeding up the grind process, given that it is a commercial grinder and quick grinding would therefore be required, so the comment that the angle of the burrs would slow the grind down is interesting and obviously differs from my guess as to what they did. Regarding if the grinder has a central auger, here are a couple more pictures which show the bean path from above with the hopper removed so you can see (and sorry for the messy interior, it was taken after I'd this morning's coffee):

I have had a good look over the machine for any specifications regarding motor size and there is nothing on it externally, or underneath. I can only say that the machine is pretty huge and I would expect the motor to be of a decent size/power given the dimensions of the casing and overall weight of it (and it's intended shop usage). The Eureka burrs I have found look like the ones on this MDL in an ebay listing (and I hope I'm not breaking any rules by linking to it - the sale is nothing to do with me): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eureka-MDL-75 ... 1054985284. I have found a company in the UK that can supply a pair of these burrs at approximately £35.00, which is a gamble I am prepared to take in order to prolong the life of my D-75. What are your opinions on the state of the present burrs - do they look in need of replacement? Sorry for all the questions but I have only recently switched from filter coffee out of a drip machine, to espresso/Americano out of a Gaggia Factory (La Pavoni Europiccola), and so the quality of the fine grind has only now become an issue and it is a slightly steep learning curve.

Thanks again for the replies.

algue

#5: Post by algue »

copydex wrote:I have a fairly old "Richiedere Macine D-75" grinder
I just add that Richiedere macine D-75 is not the name of the grinder model.
In italian it means "ask for d75 burrs".
Therefore it is a reminder for the burrs type you have to ask for when you need replacement.
Bye
Alberto

copydex (original poster)

#6: Post by copydex (original poster) »

Many thanks for the accurate translation, Alberto - that is very helpful. I guess that means that my grinder is possibly a "Nuova Simonelli MCD75", rather than the same as that machine but made under a different name, though without any external brand markings it is difficult to tell for certain.