Low end but capable brew grinders - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
msboo

#11: Post by msboo »

I have a Virtuoso but picked up a Capresso Infinity last year as a back-up. Not a bad grinder for the $. With 20% coupon at our local BB&B it was $72+4.32tx=$76.32. At that time it was $89.99 retail but they've gone up since then. Those 3 Capresso grinders are exactly the same. Model 560, black or chrome finish, has plastic exterior, 565 has stainless exterior with higher retail $. ONLY difference is the exterior finish, all other specs are identical.

REMEMBER besides more static, Infinity grinders have more ground retention therefore you need to clean out after every grind for best results---also the setting may (or may not?) drift while grinding which may be a quality control thing. IF I were currently purchasing my choice would be the Encore, for less retention and value---unless you could get an Infinity for what I paid (early last year).

Agree with above poster as to being cautious on eBay. The brushed stainless Infinity you saw on Amazon for 89.99 could be used (???) or may actually be plastic chrome finish. When I got my Infinity (black plastic ext housing), the stainless retailed for 139.99---big difference. Buying from either mentioned online source you need to pay close attention to product descriptions and specs.

Bossman (original poster)

#12: Post by Bossman (original poster) »

Thanks all. I think I will keep watching for a refurb Baratza and will buy a new one if one does not come up in a couple of weeks.

turtle

#13: Post by turtle »

Bossman wrote:Really?? That's new to me, they have always put them up on Thursday's and it even says that on their website, that's kinda crappy they would change it up.
That is why I was so surprised to see them on Tuesday. Told a friend and he picked up a refurbished Virtuoso. I tried to talk him into the Esatto also but he was stretching it to get the Virtuoso as he thought he would get an Encore but at the last minute stepped up the ante. Oh well. There's always next time. :D
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

opother

#14: Post by opother »

"Is the Encore worth the extra $30?"

Yes I think so.

I would choose Baratza.