Did I just make a $1,000 mistake on Mazzer Super Jolly E? - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pocojoe

#31: Post by pocojoe »

That big doserless funnel sure looks like a centrifuge, or roulette wheel, with larger particles having the potential to take a longer path before dropping than the fines. Is there an easy way to put something either on the ejection chute, or perhaps (easily reversible) some tape on the inside of the funnel to disrupt the spinning flow if that is what is causing the problem?

From what you are describing, something very systematic is happening. Suspect that random is lacking.

Thanks for the interesting puzzle.
Joe
PocoJoe
Safety Third- First Roast, then Grind

boar_d_laze

#32: Post by boar_d_laze »

pocojoe wrote:That big doserless funnel sure looks like a centrifuge, or roulette wheel, with larger particles having the potential to take a longer path before dropping than the fines. Is there an easy way to put something either on the ejection chute, or perhaps (easily reversible) some tape on the inside of the funnel to disrupt the spinning flow if that is what is causing the problem?
?!
From what you are describing, something very systematic is happening. Suspect that random is lacking.
Well yes, but...

Perhaps I'm missing something, but you're making the problem more complicated than it is, and the solution more complicated than it need be.
  • 1. The stream of coffee from the chute isn't centered in the basket and overloads the back (handle side); but
    2. After the coffee is dosed, Joe (the OP) is not distributing and consolidating the coffee evenly; and
    3. The most efficient and simplest solutions consist of improving ordinary prep technique -- like more careful finger wiping -- or distribution tricks like "double slap shot," and the Stockfleith maneuver.
Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

pacificmanitou

#33: Post by pacificmanitou »

boar_d_laze wrote:Well yes, but...

Perhaps I'm missing something, but you're making the problem more complicated than it is, and the solution more complicated than it need be.
  • 1. The stream of coffee from the chute isn't centered in the basket and overloads the back (handle side); but
    2. After the coffee is dosed, Joe (the OP) is not distributing and consolidating the coffee evenly; and
    3. The most efficient and simplest solutions consist of improving ordinary prep technique -- like more careful finger wiping -- or distribution tricks like "double slap shot," and the Stockfleith maneuver.
Rich

Seriously. Distribution isn't complicated, and no grinder will be free of the need to address it.
LMWDP #366

pocojoe

#34: Post by pocojoe »

We are saying the same thing- in this case, it appears that distribution is not random.

One theory is that has been presented is that there is more coffee in the back of the puck than the front. That could be because there is a little hill in the back that is not mowed down flat by swiping with a finger before the tamp. Another explanation could be that before the puck is compressed with the tamp, it is level- but the distribution of the ground coffee has fines in one place and larger particles in the opposed direction. Given the lack of apparent channeling, that sure sounds like a possibility.

Some people are asking why an apparently ok tamp would be doing this; others are saying how to fix it. Granted, how to fix it can be simple, but why it happens might explain why some people find that dosers do a better job than doserless dispensing.
PocoJoe
Safety Third- First Roast, then Grind

Joco (original poster)

#35: Post by Joco (original poster) »

Thanks for everyone's help here. Im going to shoot some videos so you can all see whats happening and what I've tried.

I need to enlist help for the video so stay tuned.

Joe

Joco (original poster)

#36: Post by Joco (original poster) »

As promised, I took a series of videos to help troubleshoot my uneven extraction.

Please see the following new thread and leave feedback there.
Help me troubleshoot consistent uneven extraction

michaelryba

#37: Post by michaelryba »

Too late now, that I saw you sent the Super J back, but I just came across this thread today.
I have a Mazzer Mini E doserless. In the cone, there is another screen/plate of stainless steel that belongs in there. I took it out once & experienced the clumping you describe/saw. I put it back in short order. In your video, I noticed there were two holes in the exit chute & the plate missing.

Joco (original poster)

#38: Post by Joco (original poster) »

michaelryba wrote:<image>
Too late now, that I saw you sent the Super J back, but I just came across this thread today.
I have a Mazzer Mini E doserless. In the cone, there is another screen/plate of stainless steel that belongs in there. I took it out once & experienced the clumping you describe/saw. I put it back in short order. In your video, I noticed there were two holes in the exit chute & the plate missing.

That screen/plate is a finger guard and as far as I know its only for keeping your fingers out of the exit chute. But I can understand how it could help eliminate clumps. Problem is that with it in there its near impossible to sweep the exit chute out. So thats why most people remove it.

BenKeith

#39: Post by BenKeith »

This is why I bought a quality used grinder. When I got through modifying it to make it a dosserless and good for dropping in single dosses at the time, I pretty well destroy the resale value of the grinder, and it's hard to take a brand new, $1,000 grinder and do that.

Exit chutes are usually designed to create a choke point for the grinds to help reduce static, then they depend on the dosser to break up any clumps created by the exit chute. One of the first things I did was cut the exit chute off even with the body of the grinder. All I have is a hole for the grinds to come off, which I also enlarged to almost double the size it was and made me a down chute from 1 1/4" copper fittings. Knowing doing this, I was creating a big time static generator, I did other things to make to work around that.

My $200 Doge grinder ($300 with new burrs and copper fittings) gives me super fluffy grinds with no signs of clumps and great distribution right in the center of the portafilter. I do try to move the portafilter around so it's a level pile but the grinder is so fast, that's hard to do. It grinds 15 grams in beans in just a few seconds. I don't do anything but tap the portafilter down on the counter to settle the grinds some, level them some with my hand/finger and tamp them.