Didn't know Olympia Livietta steam valve was open

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jsolanzo

#1: Post by jsolanzo »

Guess what happened? The water all dried out and the heating element would not turn on anymore. Is there a way to fix this or do I have a non functioning livietta? The pump still turns on, but the heating element doesn't.

Turned the machine on, went to take a shower, and next thing you know, it's dunzo. :(

Please help. Would Orphan Espresso's trick of kilning the heating element be viable?
LMWDP #355

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

Heating element is shot, get a new one.
LMWDP #353

jsolanzo (original poster)

#3: Post by jsolanzo (original poster) »

Do you know where I can get a new one? Or are they super hard to find? :(
Are the new maximatic elements able to be fitted on the old liviettas/maximatic?

Like this: http://www.cerinicoffee.com/olympia-cre ... -120v.html
LMWDP #355

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Once a heating element hits the air, it will super heat and burn out. Any Olympia parts can be difficult to find and pricey. Nature of the machine.
Dave Stephens

2StrokeBloke

#5: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

I'm not sure if the Livietta has one, but if it didn't, I'd be surprised.
Try resetting the over temp sensor/overheat safety switch. Should be a small red or black button located on the bottom of your boiler. It's designed to open the circuit once the boiler temp gets too hot.

Of course, if your machine is wired correctly, it should have worked!
Make sure you unplug your machine while looking for this switch.

Even if the switch did it's job, having learned from others on the forum, I'd reset the switch, and plug the machine into a GFCI breaker outlet just in case. When my element overheated, it developed a pin-hole leak somewhere in the element. It wouldn't blow the wall circuit breaker, it worked 'just fine', but once plugged into a GFCI protected outlet, it popped immediately once turned on.
I found a wonderful single outlet GFCI at Lowes (US..can't find them in Canada at all :( )the other day for about $13. It's made by Shockbuster and the item number on the package is #30339011 and the sku is 0 35874 39011 7

SpromoSapiens

#6: Post by SpromoSapiens »

That magic red button saved my livietta's life a few years ago. Same element still going strong today, + lesson well learned. Hope yours is as happy an ending!

bostonbuzz

#7: Post by bostonbuzz »

Try the button. My cremina died when I left the top cap off and the button didn't do anything. That link is for the bottom stainless plate and the element and button. You probably just need an element. I purchased mine a couple years ago from orphan for $40. I believe it was for a different machine but fit a cremina (and probably maxi) after drilling out the existing element.
LMWDP #353

danmc

#8: Post by danmc »

The new elements bolt up fine to the Livietta/Coffex/Maximatic. The terminal ends will probably need to be bent as they point straight down instead of to the sides. Also the thermal breaker is in the center of the plate so that might be something to work out with the wiring. But should not be a big problem.

I have a new style element not installed so could send you pics if you want.

Good luck

Dan

weebit_nutty

#9: Post by weebit_nutty »

Sorry to hear this happened :(

Here's a quick tip for next time after you've repaired your machine :

Place a sticker over the knob cover. On my Cremina I've got the Olympia Express busboy logo on the knob. With a glance you can tell if the steam valve is open or not before turning the machine on.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?