I'm new to this and would like critique of my latest roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
therabidweasel

#1: Post by therabidweasel »

Hey guys, after 7 years of whatever the heck a Hottop D does for a roast profile I finally took the plunge and went HTRI+TC4C. . .THANK YOU JIM G.! My TCs are bare junction, so you will see in my curves that ET and BT are counter cyclical at 3s sampling rate and seem to be very, very fast to me. The probes are in the standardish positions and the drum is 100% unmodified. So this is just my latest roast and I was wondering if I could get a critique? I pulled a shot after 2 days using my Tanzania (not ideal) but it werent awful for a 40g double in 20s. . . I'd rather give it a go in the K30 or do a pourover or vacpot with the Tanz, alas neither option was feasible. I have a few other roasts of the same blend that I plan to taste with Nate42 this weekend using his gear.

Is my drying phase too long? 1c too short? I'm trying to get a sweet fairly basic espresso here.

Advertisement
rgrosz

#2: Post by rgrosz »

Looks like your drying phase is too long (BT = 300). You probably need to reduce your charge size. I have not typically enjoyed African coffees as espresso - a bit TOO bright for my taste.

P.S.
It is hard to see much detail on your Artisan graph. I suggest you change the right hand axis (Delta BT) to have a maximum value of 40 degrees. For the left hand axis, use a maximum value of 500 degrees, and a minimum of 100.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

therabidweasel (original poster)

#3: Post by therabidweasel (original poster) »

Thank you for the comments. I'll see what I can do with the graphs. Please let me know of any other faux pas I'm making in artisan.

To clarify it's a pre-roast blend of 50/50 Guat/Brazil...The Tanzania is my bulk grinder that I dialed down rather than use my normal K30 espresso grinder to pull the shots.

This was by far the fastest of the three roasts that I did and it tasted the worst of four roasts in a double blind comparison. Maybe because I pretty much left the fan off after drying. That said, I plan to take your recommendation and reduce my batch size for my next roast and see what I get.

I too dislike bright espresso, I tend to prefer bass-note blends with even a little (gasp) robusta thrown in.

rgrosz

#4: Post by rgrosz »

therabidweasel wrote:To clarify it's a pre-roast blend of 50/50 Guat/Brazil...The Tanzania is my bulk grinder that I dialed down rather than use my normal K30 espresso grinder to pull the shots.
DUH - :oops: see, I really did NOT read the top line of your graphic.
therabidweasel wrote:This was by far the fastest of the three roasts that I did and it tasted the worst of four roasts in a double blind comparison. Maybe because I pretty much left the fan off after drying.
Definitely want to keep the fan on after drying. I usually run at 50%-75% for the remainder of the roast.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee