Under-sink water filtration question...

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
jasonburk

#1: Post by jasonburk »

My apologies if this is not the appropriate forum (or website even) for this question.

I've been considering having an under-sink water filtration system installed, for quality drinking water, and, if possible, a direct feed to my espresso machine (plumbable Expobar Leva Plus). Would it be possible to have it connected to both a drinking-water spigot and the Espresso machine?

Just wondering if anyone has done this before. Any caveats? Is there a particular model you can recommend?

Thanks

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

No reason you could not have it feeding both. You would not want to run the faucet water while you were pulling shots. The pressure may fluctuate on your extraction. Everpure filters are always popular but there are several options. Most espresso machine vendors sell filtration units. You can always contact one of them (Chris Coffee, 1-st line, espressopartsNW to name a few) and see what they suggest. It may be beneficial to get your water tested so you know what it is you are filtering. That would dictate what kind of filters/softeners you need.

You will end up with your supply line (3/8 OD or larger) into a shutoff valve, filter units, Y splitter with a line to the spigot and the other to a pressure regulator, shutoff valve, check valve, then up to the machine.
Dave Stephens

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

earlgrey_44

#4: Post by earlgrey_44 »

jasonburk wrote: Is there a particular model you can recommend?

You might consider building an undersink system around the Sears 34370 filter. This filter beat the pants off much more expensive filters in a Consumer Reports test some years ago, and it's still available.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

The filters under my coffeebar are set up to feed a dedicated cold water faucet & my Speedster. The faucet gets little use so I have 3/8" tubing feeding the water into the filters from the 1/2" cold water pipe. If we were using the faucet regularly I'd run 1/2" pipe into & out of the filters & feed the faucet/machine using a 1/2" X 3/8" Y or Tee.
LMWDP 267

jedovaty

#6: Post by jedovaty »

I do it. It's as simple as a "t" going from the water filter's out port. Mine sends water to a drinking water tap, and the other behind the dishwasher and to my espresso machine.

jasonburk (original poster)

#7: Post by jasonburk (original poster) »

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure before calling a plumber out. I'd plumb it myself, but DIY plumbing always ends in tragedy for me.
cannonfodder wrote:It may be beneficial to get your water tested so you know what it is you are filtering. That would dictate what kind of filters/softeners you need.
Good idea!