Brewing without plastic - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
beer&mathematics

#11: Post by beer&mathematics »

Eastsideloco wrote: If the price tag for the Ratio 8 doesn't scare you and you love Scandinavian design, World Barista Champion Tim Wendeloe is working with Wilfa on a high end brewer at a similar price point:

http://baristamagazine.com/blog/?p=10144
Didn't care for the looks of the Ratio, but the Wilfa is pretty. I'd get one if I could afford that convenience. Another great share from eastsideloco

Edit to add: The Wilfa is cool because you can stop the flow and doesn't need a second vessel when you are dont with the pot of coffee. Also, TW mentions you can use it like a Clever dripper (again, because you can stop the flow). Pretty cool and versatile
LMWDP #431

_rob_ (original poster)

#12: Post by _rob_ (original poster) »

Yes, I am looking for something to make a pot of drip coffee for when I am having guests, and I would prefer an auto-drip kind of setup.

My concern over plastic is health related. I don't want to defend this position, let's just say, whether or not it is reasonable, my health is compromised, and I am taking this additional precaution for the sake of "better safe than sorry."

I's also like to avoid aluminum in the path.

I can afford a Ratio 8. I found it doing some searching after posting this. It is a real contender after I read the reviews.

It may be a 12 cup Sowden will do the trick. I'll be trying that out as well. Mine finally arrived today, but I was looking for something that was as hands off as possible, capable of making a good cup, and met my personal material safety concerns.

My concern about the Technivorm that remains is the water head and chamber. I am guessing these are plastic. If that is the case, I will wait on the Ratio 8. I just hope if it is great, that a Ratio 12 comes along, as I am looking at using this for entertaining, and brewing full pots for many people.

_rob_ (original poster)

#13: Post by _rob_ (original poster) »

beer&mathematics wrote:Didn't care for the looks of the Ratio, but the Wilfa is pretty. I'd get one if I could afford that convenience. Another great share from eastsideloco

Edit to add: The Wilfa is cool because you can stop the flow and doesn't need a second vessel when you are dont with the pot of coffee. Also, TW mentions you can use it like a Clever dripper (again, because you can stop the flow). Pretty cool and versatile
Down side of the wilfa is that is seems to be made mostly of plastic. Am I missing a non-plastic version?