Cappuccino lover with $2000 budget for espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
debrey

#1: Post by debrey »

I have been doing research for a while on the forums but I have a somewhat specific situation, so I thought I would seek some tailored advice.

I've had a Silvia and Mazzer Mini for about 12 years now and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I am getting divorced and my wife is going to get the Silvia and so I thought I would take the opportunity to upgrade my espresso machine. I can spend roughly $2000. I could possibly also give my wife the Mazzer as well and spend a bit more on a machine-grinder combo. (She is currently planning to use a hand grinder with the Silvia).

Instead of buying a combo now, I thought I would buy a machine for around $2000 and then if I have some disposable income in a few years I could upgrade my grinder then.

Some relevant considerations:
I drink at least 75% cappuccinos. I could see myself getting more into straight espresso, but I imagine that it will always be at least 50%.
I don't view myself as too fiddly. I would rather not have to temperature surf, all other things being equal.
I like the idea of a double boiler and of PID, although I could be convinced to go for something else.

Right now, it seems that most things I've seen point toward the Expobar Brewtus IV. I'd like to know what other machines people suggest that I consider and whether people think it would be a mistake to buy such a machine to use with a Mazzer Mini. I do realize that in general people think that the grinder is at least as important as the espresso machine.

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

Breville dual boiler?

Advertisement
debrey (original poster)

#3: Post by debrey (original poster) »

Thanks. I can't say that I've really looked into the Breville, perhaps because of problems I had with their blenders. But that probably isn't fair...

I've been starting to look more at the QuickMill Dual boilers too: QM67 and Vetrano 2B. There is just a huge amount to research. I'm not quite sure how to compare these to each other and to the Brewtus, but I'm reading around...

MDL

#4: Post by MDL »

I have owned a Vivaldi II since early 2006 and love it. I like the old/retro look and love the fact that it is plumbed in. When I purchased the machine I got really sound and honest advice from both Chris and Mary at Chris' Coffee and since they sell many options that fit your description I would encourage you to speak with them.

Good luck and I imagine that you will enjoy any of the double boiler machines that you are considering.

Personally I would hope to never go back to a tank machine and I also really like the volumetric dosing.

markk100

#5: Post by markk100 »

Hello David,

Bias Alert...

I would give two giant thumbs up for the Brewtus IV-R, and I presume the pour over version is fine too, but I think the Rotary pump is pretty awesome.

As it compares to the QM67, I think it blows it away. I was told by a merchant that you can't brew and steam simultaneously, and to me that's unacceptable in a double boiler. Can't say about the Vetrano 2B, as I didn't look at it too closely. I thought it (and many others) was over priced against the Brewtus IV...especially given you could figure in some fairly significant wiggle room on the Expobar list pricing around the web.

I've been extremely impressed with my Brewtus IV-R thus far, once I got used to her. There was some re-figuring of my pre-shot, shot, and post-shot routine against what I was used to with my Silvia. I too enjoy milk drinks, and there just isn't a comparison in both ease of use or performance in the ability to knock drinks out quickly. Shot quality has been very consistently excellent as well.

All that said, for 2k there are lots of great machines, this is just one guy's opinion.

Have fun,

Mark

debrey (original poster)

#6: Post by debrey (original poster) »

Thanks, Mark and MDL.

Plumbing in isn't going to be an option for me for at least a few years, so I don't think that is going to be a selling feature for me, although it could end up being nice if it can be converted.

I hadn't paid attention to volumetric dosing before -- I've now read up on that and it sounds nice.

Reading the reviews on Home Barista, it looks like the Vetrano steams faster than the Brewtus. But it would be important to be able to brew and steam at the same time -- otherwise, who cares about the faster steam time.

I think I had read that about the QM67, that you can't brew and steam at the same time. Strange design.