Quick little espresso mirror I made for watching the pour...

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
weebit_nutty

#1: Post by weebit_nutty »

Hi guys I made a shot mirror similar to one's I've seen built into some commercial and uber espresso machines...

I was with my SO at a craft supply store and ran across an interesting product. It's a paper mirror you can cut with scissors. I was skeptical that it going to look the same as as a real glass mirror.

Sufficed to say it is a real mirror. Amazing. So I took some mounting tape and mounted a 6"x1.25" segment to a a piece of tacky drawer liner that was roughly the same size, only a bit wider so that the tacky material would allow me to position the mirror down on the drip tray perfectly without it falling down.

I'm amazed how perfect out came out.

Let me know what you think!
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Great idea, I like it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

kwantfm

#3: Post by kwantfm »

Very nice. I ended up buying a polished stainless steel military dog tag which is the right width to b propped up against my drip tray...
LMWDP #602

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I bought a little mirror from Harbor Freight which works well too.
Scott
LMWDP #248

weebit_nutty (original poster)

#5: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

In case anyone is interested, here is the product info if your want to make something similar...

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FVZ79Q/

You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

happycat

#6: Post by happycat »

Cool idea.

I have a magnetic LED light on a ball joint meant for BBQs. It's mounted on the chassis and pointed into the brew stream to help with seeing colour.
LMWDP #603

kwantfm

#7: Post by kwantfm »

I sort of skim read your opening post... I missed that you can cut that mirror with scissors. Quite a phenomenal thing!
LMWDP #602

WSH

#8: Post by WSH »

I've just been using a woman's compact make-up mirror from Dollar Tree. Price is right, and one side even has magnification.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

I've used a folding compact too, but it's too big to tuck in at the back of the drip tray like the OP did with the plastic mirror. I like that, but I'm not sure if I want to make one for all my levers or just have one. A polished dog tag is another interesting idea too.

I've actually used those plastic mirrors as a temporary fix for a busted side mirror on a car because the replacement had to be special ordered. It worked OK for a temporary fix, better than not having a mirror.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mathof

#10: Post by mathof »

weebit_nutty wrote:In case anyone is interested, here is the product info if your want to make something similar...

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FVZ79Q/
n
<image>
I see from your link that the price of this product on US Amazon is $8.78. The same item on UK Amazon costs £14.22 ($23.70).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Darice-Inch-x9- ... 002FVZ79Q/