Just bought a used Bunn G1 Grinder.. How do these burrs/ground coffee beans look? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
osanco

#11: Post by osanco »

I just got serious about adjusting my G1 today. I was a little worried about some of the problems the guys have had with espresso. I hadn't gone that fine. We are using it only for cupping and drip and pour overs. Once we found a reasonable setting, we left it alone.

When installing new burrs, I grind a sacrificial pound or two while adjusting the burrs to beyond the chirping point. I'm fairly aggressive with this and I go as far as I dare. I think this laps the burrs parallel. After I did that today, I could grind to the espresso range and my fines decreased.

I'm sure rice is good for something too, but I use coffee for the oil. I want the lubrication

So far, so good. We're getting a very nice separation in the cup. This is an excellent cupping grinder.

As an aside, using a 12x magnifier, I compared my Major or the Bunnzilla. The distribution appeared very similar. I have new burrs for the Major, but for as clean as it is grinding, I don't think it needs them.

Bunzilla is a neat grinder and easy and fun to work on. I'm very pleased with mine.

BenKeith

#12: Post by BenKeith »

Not sure if you how critical you are trying to get with the grind but here's something I did with a used Doge grinder I recently modified to a single dosser and installed new burrs. Looking through the exit port I could see a very small gap on one side of the burrs when the other side was touching. I checked them and they were approx. 13 microns off. I took the burrs out, machined this plate below the same thickness as the two burrs and screwed it into the place of the top burr (the one that adjust on this grinder). Since I was only dealing with a few microns and the plate on the motor was aluminum, I went with some 600 grit wet/dry glued to this ring and slowly adjusted it down with the motor running and lapped that plate until I could see where the polished area went all the way around it. I put the burrs back in and looking through the exit port then, they made a perfect match.

The surface on this plate is just slightly larger than the contact surface on the bottom burr. I didn't try to do the whole machined area since it had no affect on the burr alignment, only the contact surface. Which looking at yours, the whole bottom of the burr is the contact surface, so one for yours would be just a big, thick disc with a couple of mounting holes drilled in it.

boar_d_laze

#13: Post by boar_d_laze »

osanco wrote:... my fines decreased. I'm sure rice is good for something too
[/quote]Rice is good because the Ditting burrs need a lot more than 20lbs of break-in before they settle down, and rice is less expensive than coffee. Rice costs less than fiddy cent a pound, and "sweepings" cost me almost two bucks a pound net-net after postage and roast costs.

My burrs continue to show obvious improvement with every 20lb bag, and we've gone through at least 120lbs of rice.

Ditting says 300lbs for complete break in, and I have no basis for disagreement.
I use coffee for the oil. I want the lubrication.
We (try to) do 20lbs of rice every other week, and re-season the burrs with 12oz batch of crap coffee after every bag of rice. We (the black cats -- Bud Evans and Bird Parker -- and I) stretch out the break in over time for no other reason than because we become bored quickly. Linda and Lola Getz (the white cat -- what Lola Wanz, Lola Getz) have longer attention spans, but prefer to leave the coffee chores to others.
Bunzilla is a neat grinder and easy and fun to work on. I'm very pleased with mine.
Indeed. And wait until you use it for brew. To the extent that grinders have signatures, our Bunnzilla's is "juicy." :wink:

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator