Mahlkonig Guatemala static!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rodcell

#1: Post by rodcell »

Does anyone have any particular receptacle they use with these (Mahlkonig or other similar) types of grinders?
I'm having static problems and while water drops work, I need a receptacle anyway so I want to get a receptacle that might reduce static by itself.

For example, if I buy this Baratza grounds bin, will it help?
https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerc ... n&key=6042

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

So, just for the heck of it, I just used a surface resistance meter on my Baratza grounds bin. It is reading as 10^11 ohms, which is the upper limit of what is considered static dissipative. Not remarkable, but better than a true insulator like untreated plastic or glass. In practice, some dust and small bits of chaff cling to it, but it works fairly well.

redpig

#3: Post by redpig »

The lab version uses a stainless steel cup on a plate that is grounded. Maybe try a grounded stainless cup? I know that someone (can't recall who offhand) mod'd their pharos and found that grounding got rid of most of their static issues too. hth!
LMWDP #411

D'Laine

#4: Post by D'Laine »

I use a Baratza Vario W and find that after grinding, I leave the grounds container resting for a few minutes works. I may place it on the metal edge of the kitchen sink or touching the grounded espresso machine, but always after a few minutes, the static is gone.

D.