Which grinder with £200 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
m4lcs67

#1: Post by m4lcs67 »

I have owned a Gaggia Classic for a few years now and I love it. However we have always bought pre-ground coffee to use with it. However I have decided to look into grinding my own and I am therefore seeing what is available out there. I have briefly looked at the Gaggia burr grinder and also the Rancilio Rocky Doserless. The Rancilio is about £200. That is within my budget as long as it does a good job. I don't want to be spending so much if the final result isn't very good. We mainly make cappuccinos, so the grind will be nice and fine. I am also contemplating doing a mod on the Gaggia Classic and swapping out the paranello frother for a Rancilio. With a bit of practice I should then be able to get lovely silky milk for the cappos.

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Orphan Espresso Pharos...better act fast!

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/PHAROS_c_22.html
Scott
LMWDP #248

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

Pharos is already gone.

-Mahlkonig (Baratza) Vario (not k30, the Baratza model)

-Used Mazzer Super Jolly
LMWDP #366

Gtj10

#4: Post by Gtj10 »

I bought a rocky second hand 6 years ago an it is still going strong. I had a Silvia espresso machine an the build quality of both is excellent for the price range. I only every used it for espresso until this year as another grinder took over that task. Surprise how good it's been for drip and I couldn't fault it for espresso. If you can nab one for 200 I'd pull the trigger. I've used the lower end baratza's too and they give a great result but don't come close in terms of build quality. If your buying second hand that will be a factor.

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

pacificmanitou wrote:Pharos is already gone.

-Mahlkonig (Baratza) Vario (not k30, the Baratza model)

-Used Mazzer Super Jolly
Great recommendations, but...
The Pharos is "Availability: Out of Stock - we're getting caught up on orders!" That's a different status than gone. It's a manual grinder that will produce grinds on par with $1000+ espresso grinders. If you are looking for an inexpensive hand grinder for great espresso then keeping an eye on that order page will let you know if it's available.
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Pharos ... _p_15.html
(Orphan Espresso may, or may not, be ending the run of Pharos builds. Whether there will be a rush for the "final" 80 or so units is anybody's guess.)
EDIT: Pharos Lives On! Pharos Production Update

The Mahlkonig Baratza Vario is a good grinder too. I use the US version and like it, as it's been a good performer. New price might be more than your budget.

Super Jolly grinders have always been a favorite. Used they are inexpensive and a new burr set is quite affordable.
LMWDP #445

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

The hausgrind Made by Knock is made in the UK, just north of you:

http://www.madebyknock.com/handgrind-grinders.html

It makes excellent espresso and is a joy to use. If you end up later on with a larger uber-grinder the hausgrind will be your travel companion or early-morning-don't-wake-the-kids option.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

opother

#7: Post by opother »

Pharos is an excellent one for espresso.

beer&mathematics

#8: Post by beer&mathematics »

Like others have recommended, wait patiently for the Pharos to come back in stock. You will not be disappointed since this is more or less the best grind you can get (leaving other factors aside). The Hausgrind looks wonderful too so you might want to look at that option as well. If you want to go the electric route, go with Vario (Baratza in North America, Mahlkoning in Europe) but don't bother with the Rocky.
LMWDP #431