What to do when I receive my used Mazzer Super Jolly - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CoffeeSpeaks (original poster)

#21: Post by CoffeeSpeaks (original poster) »

Just received the SJ, to my surprise the seller sent brand new official mazzer burrs! (Not inside the grinder) After trying it out I am in love with the thing, I don't care if it is almost 20 years old, once I get a paint job done it'll look like new! It still runs like a champ and is more quiet than any other grinder i've had. If I do say so myself it is a damn good grinder (Pardon my language but that is the only way to summarize it!)

turtle

#22: Post by turtle replying to CoffeeSpeaks »

If you really like it, you might want to invest in a custom paint job. Take it to a shop that specializes in motorcycle painting and customization.

The cost should not be too much (unless you go over the top telling them what you want).

You have almost nothing invested so far so even if you DOUBLE the money into it with a one of a kind paint job you are still going to come out ahead and you will smile every time you use it, knowing that it is DA BOMB
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Advertisement
Randy G.

#23: Post by Randy G. »

CoffeeSpeaks wrote:... once I get a paint job done it'll look like new!
I love the Mazzers' simplicity of burr mounting and adjustment.

But wait to get it painted. When you sell the Silvia in the next few months you can get the Mazzer painted to match the new machine!

Come on, folks. EVERYONE had to see that one coming! :lol:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

drgary
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary »

Randy G. wrote:But wait to get it painted. When you sell the Silvia in the next few months you can get the Mazzer painted to match the new machine!

Come on, folks. EVERYONE had to see that one coming! :lol:
+1
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#25: Post by CoffeeSpeaks (original poster) »

I do love my Silvia, and to be honest I might end up selling it within the next year or two but not any time soon. Anyways can anyone point me in the direction of installing doser sweeps? (The old SJ's don't do a good job AT ALL) I've looked around/searches but can't seem to find any. (Well I found some but they were sorta hard to follow...)

Randy G.

#26: Post by Randy G. »

Since I single dose I lower the dosing volume adjustment all the way. I then cut little sweepers out of old playing cards and using tweezers I slip them up through the doser chute and wedge them into the "slot" formed between the two doser vein halves. The Kony takes 26mm x 15mm. Don't know if the SJ has the same size doser.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#27: Post by CoffeeSpeaks (original poster) »

Alrighty, Yesterday I continued cleaning the Jolly and reassembled it. Today I got some new beans, I am having a VERY difficult time dialing this grinder in, it might be due to the fact that I haven't put enough grease on (The adjustment is pretty jerky) does anyone have any tips?
Note: Very soon I'll probably be purchasing the following things:
New Adjustment collar with holes (This one doesn't have holes to put the adjustment pin in...)
Mazzer Mini SMALL hopper.
New feet
Paint Job.

Advertisement
turtle

#28: Post by turtle replying to CoffeeSpeaks »

I have not noticed any jerky motions when adjusting the setting on mine but as you say. Maybe not enough (or too much) grease on the threads.

Can you use both hands (move the wheel with both of your thumbs)? Does that help any?

The grinder should be running when you make any adjustments.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

#29: Post by CoffeeSpeaks (original poster) »

I keep the grinder running, I just removed everything and soaked the collar in degreaser, I also degreased the internal threads, I bought some higher quality grease, hopefully that will help. I did notice some grounds compacted in the burrs so I cleaned those too (I probably was too excited about making a good shot and didn't leave the grinder running when I made the grind finer.)