Descaling - Is it necessary for areas with acidic water?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Grimsthorpe

#1: Post by Grimsthorpe »

I am absolutely a novice newbie. I am in Vancouver, B.C. where the water from source is extremely acidic, and calcium buildup is virtually unheard of. So here is my newbie question, "Do I still need to descale my espresso machine, or is this strictly for places with hard water?" And if so, how often and is there a preference of descaler?

I have a Bezzera Medea which has an E61 Grouphead -if that makes any difference.

Thanks and Cheers!

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

I don't know the water in Vancouver, or at least can't remember it from a drink 10 years ago! :wink:

Anyway, looking at some online information it stated that Vancouver gets its water from mountain lakes, generally soft water with low mineral content. So if that's your water source you likely will encounter very little scale.

On the other hand it mentions White Rock, nearby Vancouver, as having an artesian water source that is heavy with mineral.

As for Vancouver's water being very acidic that might not be so, at least not once it hits your tap. Looking at some data sources showed it to be between 6.5 & 7.2 PH. Right in the middle or neutral zone.
LMWDP #445

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

When in doubt, see Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale. Takes only minutes and eliminates any guessing. If there's scale buildup on the mushroom, the steam boiler will be worse, especially if you make a lot of cappuccinos without flushing the boiler.

For what it's worth, the water is soft in our city; all that's needed is a light "preventative descale" treatment once a year. And that's probably overkill. Threads like To Descale or Not To Descale offer more background information.
Dan Kehn

Grimsthorpe (original poster)

#4: Post by Grimsthorpe (original poster) »

Wow, thanks for this great and thoughtful reply. Unless I find out anything to contradict this information, I am going to blissfully continue to not descale.

Thanks again.