Extech 421509 w/Artisan Troubleshooting

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
davej

#1: Post by davej »

Hello -

I'm trying to setup my Extech 421509 to use it with the Artisan roast logging software on my Mac running the latest version of OSX. I've installed the FTDI drivers, hooked up the Extech to a USB port and configured the device inside Artisan but I'm not getting any response from the software (i.e the temperature readouts simply stay at 0). The thermocouples are hooked up and the output on the Extech screen is accurate but the computer doesn't seem to be communicating properly.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Dave

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo replying to davej »

I worked on that with Dave and it seems his Extech needed to be explicitly set to unit id 001 (using the vendors PC software) to make it work with Artisan. Although Artisan is first requesting the id from the connected device and then sending out messages marked for that id while it was set to 535, this Extech did not answer any of those. Now Dave is up and running.

Hope this helps others,
Marko

davej (original poster)

#3: Post by davej (original poster) »

Just a quick shout out to Marko for all his help on this - including his sleuthing in figuring out a strange little anomaly that was keeping Artisan from running on my Mac (had to do with a particular font that the software didn't like).

Now it's on to better roasts.