Good colour, good crema, good volume - but low viscosity

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
CrazyDTM

#1: Post by CrazyDTM »

I have read just about every article on this site now sometimes more than once and it's all very helpful. Thanks Dan K.

In all the videos of good extractions I see, the espresso appears very thick, like syrup. Looks great! Looks almost like melted chocolate or something thick.

I find a lot of my extractions have a low viscosity: although they have good ratio of crema 20%-40%, the colour is consistent throughout the shot (maybe getting very steadily lighter towards the end), and have pretty good taste.

Just interested on any commentary on this?

Cheers

aerojrp

#2: Post by aerojrp »

I had a similar issue until i figured out what a tremendous difference different blends of coffee make. If you like something with a lot of body, try something with a bit of robusta in it. We've even been having good luck with the Kimbo bar blends that have some robusta in them. They pull really nice thick shots.

You might also try tightening up your grind just a little. That will make a thicker shot. And other than the Kimbo bar blends (which seem to survive storage better), make sure your beans are fresh. Stale coffee won't become thick at all.

Jim

mathof

#3: Post by mathof »

CrazyDTM wrote:I find a lot of my extractions have a low viscosity: although they have good ratio of crema 20%-40%, the colour is consistent throughout the shot (maybe getting very steadily lighter towards the end), and have pretty good taste.
I have found that a thorough preinfusion helps produce shots with good mouthfeel. This can be achieved on a direct lever machine, like my La Pavoni, by assisting the preinfusion phase with some lever pressure. I expect different machines offer various methods of thoroughly saturating the puck before pulling the shot.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Mouthfeel is mostly effected by the brew pressure and the blend. Some blends will simply produce a thinner mouthfeel but there is nothing wrong with that. Brew pressure also plays a big part and upping you pressure will yield more extracted solids. A finer grind and higher dose will also have a similar effect.
Dave Stephens

CrazyDTM (original poster)

#5: Post by CrazyDTM (original poster) »

Good tips, thanks

chachi

#6: Post by chachi »

Another gem from HB might give you some insight, blending espresso. Are you using a blend or SIngle Origin coffee?
Jason

CrazyDTM (original poster)

#7: Post by CrazyDTM (original poster) »

Jason, only using blends at this stage, still very much at the beginning of the journey, and yet to find cutting edge roasters in Australia! Still experimenting with the big names.
I have organised to 'volunteer' tomorrow in my best local café, so really looking forward to that and pulling some shots with some commercial gear! Hopefully will pick up some inside info on roasters

chachi

#8: Post by chachi »

maybe you can bring along some of your coffee to see what they can do with it?
Jason

rodcell

#9: Post by rodcell »

does temperature control of a machine have anything to do with this?

I am wondering if upgrading to the Marzocco GS/3 will improve my situation with the Pasquini Livia 90.