Help wiring an external pump for old 2-group astoria....

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
albert paca

#1: Post by albert paca »

hello,

so i am finally getting this monster going and ready to make my morning coffee, overkill for sure, but it could be lots of fun, not to mention damn tasty....

i am having trouble understanding exactly how the external pump and motor are wired in - do they stay on all the time? is it wired into the main relay? obviously, i am guessing....
i just can't find out how it was wired....
i have this pic of the wiring of the relay - can take more if it makes it easier, but wondering if anyone knows where the pump is wired into this circuit??? any help would be greatly appreciated....

also, this machine has kooky plastic gears that determine the timing of the brew length. i am holding my breath to see if all these weird little things still go. very cute!

any help with the wiring would be awesome - i can't seem to find any info on this online for the astoria. i am wondering if perhaps the relay is a common type, or hoping so, so that someone may know how to go ahead....
cheers,
sean,
sydney, australia.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

i can't seem to find any info on this online for the astoria.
/downloads/
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

albert paca (original poster)

#3: Post by albert paca (original poster) »

thanks for that link eric - it seems to be the same manual i have, but i still cannot find any information for this control unit, which is the RL40-1E, as pictured above - every other manual i have found shows a wiring diagram for the RL30, which is 8 pole - mine is 11, and the earth is in different positions and all else....

i am trying to work out from guess work where the motor would be connected - across the switches for the automatic level and across the brew buttons? it is very hard for me to track them down as i do not understand what the control box is really doing....

sorry - this all sounds pretty dumb probably - just looking for any more help out there....

cheers,
sean.

albert paca (original poster)

#4: Post by albert paca (original poster) »

solved i believe - i cut and traced some wires (and re-joined them luckily!), tracing the mess....

on this relay unit RL40-1E, ac comes in at 5 and 6. 5 connects to 4 and 11 which supply the normally off switches for the auto-fill solenoid (4) and pump motor (11). the solenoid connects to 2, the motor to 9, with both using 6 for the other pole.

apologies if i was being lazy and dumb by asking around instead of cannodling - i was a little worried i had no idea what i was doing.... even worse, i now believe i know what i am doing, which is, i know that much, a very bad sign....

but fingers crossed!