Ambex YM-2 Roaster rebuild

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Clint Orchuk

#1: Post by Clint Orchuk »

We're getting our Ambex YM-2 roaster ready for use. Besides a good thorough cleaning, we're replacing the existing 1700 rpm blower motor with a 3450 rpm blower, installing thermocouples and a TC4 board, and profiling roasts with Artisan. The rebuild has gone well so far. Found out the best way to clean out the exhaust pipes that exhaust the drum on the rear of the roaster was to take them to a sand blaster. No elbow grease and perfectly clean. First problem we've run into is removing the drum bearings for replacement. Anyone have any experience with this?

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Can't help on your bearings there but just wondering if your fan can handle twice the rpms. Is it a variable speed setup?

victoriacoffees

#3: Post by victoriacoffees »

Nice picture!

As for the bearings, Ambex usually ships a spanner wrench which aligns perfectly with the holes in the housing. If you don't have one, you may have a machinist/welder make one for you, makes removing the bearing a snap.

When I get back to the shop, I'll take a picture and post it.
John V.

Clint Orchuk (original poster)

#4: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Called Amer at Ambex and he walked me through the process. Wandered down to the local bike shop and borrowed a bottom bracket hook spanner and the bearing assembly spun off.

The blower upgrade has been done by others without issues. The upgrade was originally suggested by Don Vinning at Roaster Authority. It's an easy swap as it's a Baldor motor.

victoriacoffees

#5: Post by victoriacoffees »

Nice!
John V.

ronburleson

#6: Post by ronburleson »

Clint- I have an Ambex and am interested in the blower swap. Have you considered making the motor variable speed? I have thought about it and am wondering if that might give me more control of the temp as I roast. What do you think?

saepl

#7: Post by saepl »

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a question.

is the bearing housing welded to the front plate or how's it attached?

I'm also thinking that since almost every coffee roaster manufacturer uses that type of housing someone must mass produce them.