Lelit PL62 "Mara", short review - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
p.white

#21: Post by p.white »

I appreciate the reply but it's not quite what I was digging for. I have not adjusted the boiler pressure directly, I am just varying the boiler temperature by means of the PID. Specifically I am wondering what PID boiler temp other users have found suitable for this machine.

After a full warm-up for this machine which I consider to be 20-30 minutes, the boiler temp and grouphead temp should be stable. I am wondering what the temp of the water coming from the grouphead is relative to what the PID boiler temp is. I've seen machines where the temperature offset is programmed between boiler and group but this cannot be accomplished with the Mara. Basically I just want to make sure I'm in the optimal espresso temp range (I understand this varies from bean to bean).

brianl

#22: Post by brianl »

Your question was answered. For HX machines, the PID does not control brew temperature but instead the boiler pressure. You will need some other means to verify the group temperature.

Advertisement
p.white

#23: Post by p.white »

Ok. Well it's clear that no one will be sharing their PID settings with me since all I can manage to get is replies indicating that the PID changes boiler pressure rather than boiler temperature. I will find some other means of verifying group temp. There is no sense in arguing pressure change vs. temperature change with me; I am an engineer and I get it.

I will fix up my machine with an Eric's thermometer to try and get a better feel for what is coming out of my screen and into my coffee. It appears as if no one has looked into this yet for this machine since since no one seems to be able to offer anything other than pressure vs. temp adjustment.

Thanks anyway.

Paul

nikkon

#24: Post by nikkon »

Hi all,

I got the PL62T version.
Has anyone tried PID temp higher than the default 121 C?
With 122-123 mine seems to burn the caffe.

bmb

#25: Post by bmb »

Interesting ...
The new Bezzera BZ07 PID, came showing, in the digital display, the offset (indirect reading) of the group temperature ...
They must have measured it with a Scace and set it up at the factory.
It also has a double manometer showing brew pressure and boiler pressure.

Adrian T

#26: Post by Adrian T »

Hi everybody,
My name is Adrian and I am writing to you about Lelit PL62 (Mara), wich I have bought from a romanian importer about a week ago.
I have a problem on its first use. I need some help or any suggestions.
On its first use I've noticed that it doesn't heat up properly unless I open the steam wand. But, even after 1 hour to warmup, when I open the steam tap, in about 1-2 seconds the pressure drops to zero and then the heating element is fueled again. That model doesn't seem to have a classic vacuum breaker valve.
It's however possible for the model to have one (or a substitute), but I think its functionality is somehow taken over by the water suply circuit system of the main water tank(?)
Is there any advice you can give me?
It seems unnatural to me to heat up the machine by periodically releasing the air from the tank (open the steam tap) in order to reach the optimal temperature.
Thank you in advance to everybody and sorry for my english.

Adrian T

#27: Post by Adrian T »

It's ok now.
Retrofit a classic vacuum breaker valve solved the problem.
Everything works incredible fine, I have full steam in just 6 minutes and in 15 minutes from cold start, the machine is ready for first cup.

Advertisement
OrionTX

#28: Post by OrionTX »

I think my Mara PL62S must have a vacuum breaker since it has worked with a timer for several months.
Keep in mind that no one on this forum has lower abilities/standards than I.

Adrian T

#29: Post by Adrian T »

In fact, Mara (at least my copy) has no a classic vacuum breaker valve.
Their functionality is integrated in water suply circuit of the main boiler, just above the water pump. It's a small valve, capsulated in a white plastic pipe (with a T ramification to water reservoir). But in my case that works very poor, without effect (the pretension of spring valve was too strong for depression created in boiler due the cooling process). Thats why I decided to mount a classic one (not a very elegant solution).
I increase steam pressure to 0.9-1barr from 0.75-0.85 and decrease brew pressure to 9.5barr (with blind filter basket) from 10.5.
I mounted an insulator around the boiler too.
But now, everything works great.
(Sorry again for my english)

Adrian T

#30: Post by Adrian T »

A few days ago a saw a few pics with PL62S and PL62T. Both models seems to have a vacuum braker valve, and I think works well with a timer. Mara instead, no.
But adding a valve is not a difficult job and the results are great.